Thursday, March 7, 2013

Fruit salad; grocery savings

March 6, 2013

Both of the kiddos packed their lunches today. I finished up the leftover lemon chicken soup. Then I got busy running errands and getting groceries.

My pre-challenge weekly average at the commissary was $175. Today I spent $32.88 on toiletries and cleaners. I really didn't have too much of that stuff to buy but my hubby needed razors. Man those things are expensive. $13.84 just in razors! I spent $1.69 in impulse items. I had planned on getting one container of crystal light lemonade. However, they handed out coupons at the commissary for $1 off of two crystal light. So I got two today. I spent $10.89 on gossip magazines. I spent $94.98 on food. I normally buy "Pam" cooking spray. I looked at the non-name brand version today. Wow. It was $1.30 cheaper than buying Pam. Hopefully it will end up working just as good. I had planned on buying ham from the deli for sandwiches. However, they had lemon pepper chicken on sale. Ham was $8.99 a pound versus the sale price of the chicken was $3.99 a pound. Yep, chicken won. The food item that got me today was soda. I bought a 12 pack of mountain dew and one of root beer. $10.78 in soda! That is ridiculous and I wish I could totally cut it out of our lifestyle but that just isn't reasonable for us. Ha. After adding in their surcharges and taking out my coupons, I spent $137.73 today. That is a savings of $37.27. My pre-challenge weekly average at restaurants was $80. This week we spent $28.72. This is a savings of $51.28. The kiddos packed their lunches this week enough to save $8. This brings our weekly savings to $96.55. Our grand total savings is $2,444.75 in 140 days. I couldn't help but feel grumpy that my weekly savings didn't hit $100. I need to get out of that mindset. I shouldn't feel disappointed if I don't hit my "goal". Just think how much better we are doing at not wasting food and how much money we have saved in the long run.

I asked my hubby to make us breakfast for dinner. He took the time and made all of us our favorites. My son had french toast. My daughter and hubby had fried eggs and toast. I had an omelet or momelet as they are called at our house. The french toast were made with some white chocolate mocha coffee creamer in the egg mixture. He finished them off with powdered sugar and some of my father in law's homemade maple syrup. My hubby also made bacon. My daughter made us a fruit salad. She tried something new. She mixed together a can of peaches (with its juice), a small container of mango (with its juice), and a small box of vanilla pudding. After stirring the pudding in, she added some strawberries, banana, and cantelope. It turned out great! A little extra flavor and it makes the fruit nice and creamy. My omelet had ham, american cheese, onion, mushroom, spinach, tomatoes, and remember his secret ingredient....basil. I also made a batch of chocolate chip muffins. So after we ate, I asked everyone "so, how did you like your leftovers"? It was a great meal to use up some items from last week. The banana, cantelope, and strawberries were all from last week. Of course, I still had a bunch of bread leftover so that was the french toast and regular toast. The tomato and ham for my omelet was last week's. The muffins were a mix that has been sitting in my cupboard for too long. It was getting time to either use this stuff up or throw it out. It made much more sense to ask for breakfast tonight.
*I had issues uploading the pictures so the post had to wait until today to go up.





No comments:

Post a Comment