Saturday, October 12, 2013

It's a feast!

October 11 & 12, 2013

We have been trying to eat up our leftovers of pizza and lasagna yesterday and this afternoon. Even though there was still some of them left, I needed to step away from them at dinner tonight.

This afternoon I spent 2 1/2 hours raking leaves (7 1/2 hours in the past three days). I was beat. I wanted something delicious but I didn't want to have to put much effort in.

I settled on trying a new item that I bought this week. Morning star veggie meatballs are pretty easy. All you do is bake them. I prefer to make my own meatballs but for those days when I just don't want to cook, store bought will do.

My daughter loves mashed potatoes so that is what I worked on next. I still had some chopped cauliflower leftover from veggies and dip last week. Man was that a huge thing of cauliflower. I had veggies and dip, cauliflower soup, and steamed cauliflower. I decided to make mashed potatoes using about 1/3 cauliflower and 2/3 potatoes. I make my mashed potatoes by adding butter, milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, and garlic & wine seasoning.

I am not the gravy maker of the family. My hubby wasn't able to make it to dinner tonight so I had to give it a whirl. I sauteed onion and fresh garlic in a little butter. I stirred in two tablespoons of flour and let it cook for a few more minutes. I thawed out just over 1 1/2 cups of my homemade vegetable broth. I put about a quarter cup of it into a bowl and stirred in 2 tablespoons of corn starch. I added the rest of the broth and the broth/corn starch mixture to the pan. I seasoned it with salt, pepper, garlic & wine seasoning, and thyme.

Our other simple sides were steamed green beans and Hawaiian dinner rolls. As my daughter was getting the milk out of the fridge, she spotted a container of cottage cheese. Good call daughter. It needs to be eaten up during the next few days so we had some of that too. It's a feast!

How were the veggie meatballs? More importantly, how was my gravy?! I started out our plates with three meatballs. My son kept going back to get more. He ate I think 7! We all said that we should buy them again. My daughter is excited to try making a meatball sub with them. The gravy was delicious. I wouldn't change a thing about it. Score! We worked up an appetite with all that raking today but it sure made up for it by being able to fill our faces tonight!



No comments:

Post a Comment