Friday, November 1, 2013

Chickpea veggie soup; grocery savings

October 26 - November 1, 2013

Have you missed me? I haven't been hiding. I've been sick. This virus is really hanging on (today is day 10). I feel bad for the kids. They have been eating so much canned soup, peanut butter & jelly sandwiches, and other not so healthy dinners.

I did feel well enough to make dinner one night this past week. I threw together a soup out of whatever random veggies I had on hand. I used onion, 2 carrots, 1 turnip, 1/2 clove garlic, handful of kale, 2 cobs of corn, 1/2 leek, 1/3 pint of home canned tomatoes (leftover in fridge), handful of green beans, homemade veggie broth, and about 1/2 cup barley. I wanted to try using beans in soup. I looked in the freezer and found a cup of chickpeas. Perfect. I tossed them in. Wow. This was delicious. And good thing because I ate it for days!
My pre-challenge grocery weekly average was $175. Once again, I didn't feel up to driving all the way to the commissary so I shopped at a more expensive local store. Worth it to me for today. I spent $8.47 on cleaners/toiletries. I spent $14.48 on impulse items. I saw black rice. It drew me in and as I read the package "in Ancient China, it was reserved exclusively for Chinese royalty". Oooooh, sounds like a rice I need to try! I also found a potato leek soup, vegetable broth (incase I am not feeling well enough to make my own this week), and whole wheat capellini (trying to do better at whole grain items). I spent $6.98 on gossip magazines. I spent $113.23 out of pocket. This is a savings of $61.77. The kids packed lunches and saved $21. My pre-challenge restaurant average was $80. After grocery shopping, I stopped at our favorite gourmet cafe and picked up a trio of soups: cream of potato with leeks, cream of cauliflower with smoked gouda cheese, and cream of mushroom with amontillado sherry. The soups come with her delicious homemade rolls. I also grabbed a piece of apple pie. For $18, the kids will be super excited to have a delicious (and easy) meal tonight. This was a savings of $62. Our savings for the week are $144.77. Our total for our first year at this challenge was $5,036.79 and so far for our second year we are at $307.23 in 15 days.



No comments:

Post a Comment