Saturday, September 30, 2017

Copycat Moe's Burrito Bowl

September 30, 2017

One of my favorite meals (and one of my most requested recipes) is luau pulled pork. We make a slow cooker full of it and then freeze it in small containers. I love that you can freeze it and yet when it thaws out it still tastes just as good as the day it was made. We make so many different dishes with it: pulled pork over rice, pulled pork sandwiches, pork nachos, pork enchiladas, pork pizza. You name it, we probably make it with this recipe. Tonight I wanted to make a play off of a burrito bowl. Every time we go to Moe's or Chipotle, you can bet I'm ordering a burrito bowl! But first, you need to start with the pork.

To your slow cooker, add 1/2 cup of apple cider. You can use apple juice and I've even used water in a pinch. Although the apple does add flavor to the pork. Next, put in a pork roast. I think we usually buy the shoulder cut. I always buy as big a piece of pork as my slow cooker can handle. I'd guess around 13 pounds. Put it fat side up. Sprinkle 2 tablespoons of kosher salt (regular salt is fine too) all over the top of the pork. Pour 2 tablespoons of liquid smoke all over the salted pork. Cover and cook on low. My slow cooker takes about 12 hours to get the pork real tender. I like to get it going in the evening, let it cook overnight, and then in the morning it is ready for me to pull.  Once the pork is cooked, it will be very tender. You just need to shred it with a fork and pull out any remaining fat. Very easy, few ingredients, and you won't believe the flavor!

Ok, back to dinner. I threw some jasmine rice into my rice cooker. Once it was done, I wanted to add some flavor. I put probably about a teaspoon of olive oil into a bowl and added two drops of Young Living's Lime Vitality Essential Oil. I love all of the health benefits of using essential oils and cooking with them is an easy way to use them. Lime is great for your digestive, immune, and respiratory systems. I chopped up cilantro and then added the oil and the cilantro to the rice. I sautéed onion, green peppers, and mushrooms in coconut oil. I kept the seasonings simple and just used salt, pepper, and garlic powder.

Everyone got to build their own plate using whatever ingredients they preferred. I had a bed of romaine and spinach, sautéed onions/green peppers/mushrooms, cilantro lime rice, pulled pork, homemade salsa, sour cream, avocado, and queso.

Dinner was delicious! My daughter cleaned her plate before I was even half way done and she said "mmmm the rice was really good"! We all agreed this is definitely a make again dinner. If you have other ideas on how to use pulled pork, leave a comment below!

*Note: I can only speak to the safety of ingesting Young Living's Vitality line of essential oils*

No comments:

Post a Comment