Wednesday, October 4, 2017

A Taco Twist

October 4, 2017

A few years ago, we spent just over a year eating vegetarian. One meal that we kept in our rotation even after eating meat again was black bean tacos. Sounds boring right? Just wait. These aren't your ordinary black bean taco. Try rosemary carmelized onion, garlic mushrooms, roasted butternut squash, spinach, and avocado black bean tacos.

First up is the rosemary carmelized onions. These really make the taco. I made extra so that I could have leftovers for other dinners this week. Start by slicing up two onions, very thin. Melt some butter (about 5-6 tablespoons) in a skillet and then add the onions, separating the rings as you go. Give them a minute to get cooking over medium high heat. Season them with salt and pepper. Add 4 tablespoons of brown sugar. Turn the heat down and let them cook until translucent. It may take awhile. The longer they cook, the more tender and sweet they get. I forgot to look at the time, but I probably had mine cooking close to 30-40 minutes. I wanted to add some rosemary flavor but I hate feeling like I'm chewing on sticks. Ha! So, I put a tiny bit of olive oil (probably about 1/2 tsp) into a bowl and added one drop of Young Living's Rosemary Vitality Essential Oil. Then I drizzled it over the onions. Rosemary is a very strong oil. If you want more of just a hint of rosemary flavor, you can dip a toothpick into the oil and then swirl it into whatever you are cooking. One or two toothpick dips may be all you need.

The rest of the ingredients are pretty simple. Dice up a butternut squash. Toss it in olive oil then season with salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Bake at 425 for about 20 minutes. Sauce mushrooms in coconut oil. After they cook for a few minutes, add some chopped garlic and salt/pepper. Cook on medium high heat until they start to get nice and brown. I love cooking mushrooms in coconut oil. Once you do, you'll never go back to sautéing them in anything else. As for the black beans, I cooked up a pot of beans yesterday, set some aside for today, and then froze the rest in two cup increments. You could also just use a can of black beans, but make sure you rinse them first. Today I used spinach. However, spinach and arugula would be my first choice. Arugula is delicious and very flavorful. Avocado, slice or mash. Other days when we have made this dish, we have added cilantro instead of rosemary. We've also used corn tortillas that my hubby would fry up instead of flour tortillas. You can play with the ingredients and take out or add what you like. If you wanted to add meat, pulled pork would be great!

*Note: I can only speak to the safety of ingesting Young Living's Vitality line of essential oils*


No comments:

Post a Comment