Friday, April 26, 2013

No Meat Fajit-ahhhh

April 26, 2013

The kids both packed lunches again today. My daughter brought the leftover goldfish pasta. My son brought a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. After we tucked in some drinks, fruit, and yogurt, they were all set.

My hubby had today off of work so we had a date day. Yay! We decided to go out to eat at TGIF. They had a new appetizer called tuna crisps. It was a chip topped with ahi tuna, guacamole, and jalapeno pepper. We gave it a try but were pretty disappointed in it. I ordered a black bean burger. I had decided to do one or two vegetarian meals each week (starting yesterday) and found that I am actually wanting to do it more. I never thought that would be the case. What really shocked me was when my hubby ordered. He got the black bean burger too! They were really good. The texture was good. The best part? Afterwards we didn't feel all stuffed and gross as we normally do after a beef burger.

It's dinner time. I pulled up a new recipe for fajitas from Good Life Eats. I put together the marinade: 1 tablespoon water, 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar, 2 tablespoons lime juice, 3 tablespoons olive oil, 1 teaspoon chopped garlic, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 3/4 teaspoon chili powder, 1/4 teaspoon salt, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, and 1/4 teaspoon paprika. Ready to marinate the meat. Oh. Did I forget to mention that our "meat" was portabella mushrooms?! The mushrooms marinated while we chopped the rest of the ingredients: yellow, red, and orange bell peppers along with red onion. The recipe said to saute the onion and pepper in half of the marinade. However, the mushrooms had soaked it all up. My hubby just used a little bit of white wine instead. After a few minutes, he added in the mushrooms. We also topped our fajitas with mexican cheese, avocado, sour cream, and cilantro.

The verdict? After a few bites, my daughter asked "where's the meat?". Maybe the kids missed having meat in it. However, my daughter really liked the portabella mushrooms and she normally hates cooked mushrooms! I'd say that's a score! I absolutely LOVED the fajitas. I kept saying over and over after dinner "mmmm those were sooooo good!". My hubby said they were really good and he didn't miss having meat in them. My son said that he didn't like the red peppers and next time he would want to add enoki mushrooms. I wish I had more portabella mushrooms because we would totally make these again this weekend! Look at us, day two of semi-vegetarianism. Wohoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment