Tuesday, April 30, 2013

"Taco" broiled sandwiches

April 30, 2013

Today was a day full of food experiments. My daughter packed a ham sandwich and my son packed a peanut butter and jelly sandwich for lunch. My hubby packed hard boiled eggs, banana, fruit cup, apple, broccoli, and cereal bars for his breakfast and lunch.

I saw a lunch idea on Pinterest. A piece of bread is topped with mozzarella cheese, tomato slice, and green onions then put under the broiler. Hmmmm. Good but I know I can make it better. I looked in the fridge. There was still one leftover sweet potato/bean patty. I am not going to call it a "burger" anymore because it just wasn't that texture. Anyway I warmed up half of the patty and then spread it over two pieces of bread. I then topped them with spinach, green onions, tomato, avocado, and cilantro. I looked for cheese and found a five cheese white blend and some mexican. Hmmmmm. Which one? Nah, both! I did one bread of each and stuck them under the broiler. It only took a few minutes to get all melty. I grabbed my mountain dew (because what is a healthy meal that isn't washed down by something bad for you right?) and headed for the couch. I made the mistake of taking a bite of the mexican cheese bread while I still had the remote in my hand. I couldn't put my food down long enough to choose a show and get off of the guide channel! I finally set my food down when there was about a bite left....and only because I needed my napkin. Ha! The white cheese one was good but not as good as the mexican cheese one. I'm not sure if next time I will toast the bread first so that it gets a crunch. I mean really. If I couldn't set it down long enough to breathe (ok, to turn the channel) then why mess with it!

The kids needed an after school snack. I saw that there were three bananas and half a box of strawberries that needed to be finished up. I settled on trying a muffin recipe from Once a Month Mom. They were actually pretty healthy: banana, strawberries, applesauce, honey, butter, vanilla, flour, baking soda, and cinnamon. The kids loved them. They each had two muffins but I had to cut them off when they wanted a third!

I decided to go with tacos for dinner with a side of cilantro lime quinoa. I went to an amazing blog Inspired by Sam (ok, so she is my cousin I may be a "little" biased). I tried her recipe for the quinoa. I had a few problems but I totally blame myself not her recipe. I didn't measure the cilantro but I don't think I had nearly enough for the recipe. Anyway, it wouldn't chop up very well in my processor probably because it wasn't very full. I shouldn't have been such a cilantro hog this week!! Also, we liked it but it was a little too limey for us. I should have tasted along the way as I added the lime juice. Oops. For the tacos I tried something new. I tried to embrace our newly found part time vegetarianism and bought a bag of veggie crumbles to replace ground beef. I. Was. Scared. I poured it out of the bag and it surprisingly looked like crumbled beef. I may have ruined the texture when I added water along with the taco seasoning packet. It turned it into more of a bean texture. We topped our tacos with romaine lettuce, green onions, cilantro, taco sauce, sour cream, tomato, avocado, and mexican cheese. So what did everyone think? My son wanted the leftover pasta with alfredo sauce (which was part beans) but I asked him to try a bite of tonight's dinner. He took a bite of the "meat" and said it was really good on it's own. Then he took a bite of it mixed in with the taco toppings and said he couldn't taste it. My daughter loved it. She finished her taco in record time and then went back in for a second scoop of just "meat". My hubby said "they tasted like tacos".  Wohoo!! Oh, and I had an accidental mixture on my plate. The quinoa was great when I mixed it with the toppings that fell out of my taco. It cut the lime just enough so I went back and had a mini taco salad.

Side note: My son hung out with me while I scrolled through Pinterest this morning. He read the word "vegetarian" and asked what it was. I told him it is when you don't eat meat. He then asked, "am I a vegetarian"? I still don't feel like a real vegetarian. Today was day six. I think because we have the intention of eventually adding meat back to our meals a few times a week that I feel like a liar if I say I'm vegetarian. Well. My hubby is down 5-6 pounds and I am down 1.6 pounds (that's 1 POINT 6, not 16, ha) in the past six days. The only change we made is eliminating meat....not eliminating ice cream. Good god, no! I'm a vegetarian this week....and I feel great!

No comments:

Post a Comment