Tuesday, October 8, 2013

Fool them with choices

October 8, 2013

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day. I stocked up quite a bit last week when the commissary was going to be shut down. I don't really need a whole lot this week. Today was the day to use up some items before I go to the store tomorrow.

My son had a sandwich for lunch. Yay for using up some of the bread. My daughter packed the rest of the leftover chicken barley soup. I had some of the leftover cauliflower soup.

Dinner. Hmmm. I had no idea what I was going to make. I looked in the fridge to get inspired. I had about a cup of black beans. I found half a block of cream cheese. I also had a small amount of shredded swiss, mozzarella, and leftover provolone slices from my get together last week. Aha. Lasagna.

I sauteed up some onion, garlic, mushrooms, and spinach in a little olive oil. I added a little local white wine, salt, pepper, and garlic & wine seasoning. The kids aren't too big on cooked spinach so I decided to give something a try tonight. I let them decline the spinach mix inside of their lasagna roll ups. I told them that we had to pick another veggie for dinner then. We went with carrots that I had frozen from my garden. I had two club rolls left. Time to turn them into garlic bread. I just used a little butter and garlic & wine seasoning. I browned them up on the stove. My son isn't too big on whole beans either. He will eat them but when asked how to make a meal better he will reply "less beans". For the lasagna roll ups, I put the cream cheese and black beans into the food processor. I spread it onto the cooked lasagna noodles. I figured that seeing as he got to decline the spinach mix that he would think he was free and clear of any of mom's crazy additives. Ha. For my rolls, I added some of the spinach mix and swiss cheese. For the kids' rolls, I just added mozzarella cheese on top of the cream cheese/bean mix. I put a little of my homemade spaghetti sauce in the bottom of a pan. I added the lasagna rolls. I topped each roll with a slice of provolone cheese and then topped it with spaghetti sauce. The next round was american cheese and mozzarella cheese. I started them out in the oven at 350 for about 10 minutes. My daughter started complaining that she was starving so I bumped it up to 400 for about another 15 minutes. I put it under the broiler for a few minutes to brown the cheese.

How did dinner go? My son loved the garlic bread. He said it was like fireworks in the sky and flowers blooming in spring. Ha. Ok. The kids gave the lasagna two thumbs up and said "mom is awesome". Ha. So maybe that is leftover awesome from yesterday. However, he never even noticed the beans. Yep, maybe mom is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment