Thursday, October 10, 2013

New veggie pizza

October 10, 2013

I have one week left until I hit the year mark with this challenge. I am hoping to finish strong so I am trying to use up leftovers and be pretty thrifty this week.

I looked in the fridge to see my options for lunch. I settled on using some of the leftover pesto sauce. I had two boxes of pasta that had a small amount left. Too small to cook on their own. The had different cooking times so I just added them separately so they would finish cooking together. I stirred in some pesto. I also heated up some leftover spinach, onion, and mushrooms (from the lasagna filling).

We finally had a night where we didn't have any activities. Yay! I wanted to make a homemade pizza for us. I decided to try out some new veggies. We have had broccoli on a pizza from a local pizzeria. Why have we never tried it at home? I had some broccoli already chopped in the fridge. I had a bunch of kale too. Hmmmm. I threw some kale and broccoli in some olive oil and seasoned it with salt. I roasted them at 425 for a few minutes (maybe 10 for broccoli). I burned the first batch of kale. Oops. Ha. The second batch probably only cooked for 5 minutes. I topped my side of the pizza with homemade sauce, kale, broccoli, caramelized onions, mushrooms, green & red peppers (already chopped from my get together last week), and black olives (leftover from taco spaghetti). The kids had green peppers, black olives, kale, and broccoli. I used some of the provolone cheese (also leftover from my get together last week) along with some mozzarella.

As we waited for the pizza to cook, I had little snitchers. My daughter came into the kitchen and snitched the rest of the leftover kale. She loves kale. My son snitched the rest of the roasted broccoli. How did the pizza turn out? None of us were thrilled with the kale on the pizza. Strange seeing as my daughter loves it on it's own. However, we all did like the broccoli.

No comments:

Post a Comment