Sunday, October 6, 2013

Taco spaghetti

October 6, 2013

We have had a busy few days. I made a small pot of chicken barley soup for the kids (while I ate the leftover cream of potato leek soup). We had leftovers for a couple of days. We also had a party to go to so one night I got out of making dinner.

One of my friends said that she made spaghetti for lunch today. That conversation led to three of her friends to say that they were making spaghetti for dinner tonight. Four people can't be wrong. Spaghetti is the way to go for today. However, I wanted to do something a little different. Taco spaghetti.

I have made different taco variations of pasta before (baked casserole, pasta salad) but tonight was spaghetti's night to shine. I started out by cooking up a little onion. I grabbed the bag of leftover chopped veggies (I had veggies and dip two days ago). I found some yellow and green pepper. I chopped them along with some garlic and added it to the onion. I cooked the veggies in a little bit of olive oil and then added in local white wine. I put a pint jar of my homemade salsa into the food processor to make it more of a sauce consistency. I thawed out some black beans and a bag of corn (from farmer's market). I cooked up angel hair pasta and stirred in the cooked veggies, corn, black beans, and salsa. I put a bed of lettuce on our plates. I piled on some taco spaghetti. Our toppings included black olives, green onion, cilantro, sour cream, and mexican cheese. I found half of an avocado. Oh yes. Come on out little avocado. My daughter was thrilled with the fact that she could have a spaghetti taco and grabbed a hard taco shell to fill. My son quickly followed her lead.

Dinner was delicious. You could totally add in any taco ingredients that you love. Taco seasoned ground beef, diced tomatoes, jalapenos, etc. I was fully prepared to add in extra seasonings like cumin, salt, pepper, and paprika. It didn't need any. I think the key is that you need to start with a salsa you really like. Of course my homemade salsa is awesome so we had a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment