Monday, October 7, 2013

Mom is awesome

October 7, 2013

I woke up this morning with a plan. I wanted to ensure that my kiddos said the words "mom, you are awesome" tonight. How do you go about that? You do awesome things of course.

I looked through my old blog posts to find something to make for dinner. I found a day when I had made cauliflower soup out of overcooked cauliflower leftovers. I had said that I "raved" about it. Hmmm. Guess it's time to make it again.

I sauteed onion, garlic, carrots, and celery in a little olive oil and butter. Meanwhile, I steamed cauliflower. I had tons of cauliflower (leftover from veggies and dip) to use up. I stirred a three tablespoons of flour into the veggies and let it cook a few more minutes. I added in 3/4 cup of homemade veggie broth, 2 cups of milk, about half a cup of freshly grated romano cheese, and maybe about a cup (I grabbed three small handfuls) of cheddar cheese. I found some leftover corn in the fridge so that went in as well. I added just a little bit of salt and pepper at the end. I topped it with just a little green onion.

Ok, soup is good but it definitely isn't "awesome" enough. I decided to make something that my son has been asking for. There was a box mix for cinnamon toast crunch flavored muffins that has been sitting in our cupboard calling his name. Today was the day. I also found some cookies in the freezer and popped some of those in the oven.

Getting closer, but still not quite there. I figured the kids would appreciate not having to do some chores. I put away all of their laundry and did the dishes for them. Aha. I think I've done it.

Time to see their response. Unbelieveable. The first words out of my son's mouth: mom, you're awesome. Hehe. My daughter gave me a thumbs up. One awesome works for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment