Monday, September 16, 2013

Grilled burgers

September 16, 2013

The kids started out the week by sticking to their lunch boxes. Yay! Leftovers have never been used up so well as they have the past couple weeks. I couldn't wait to get my hands (and my fork) on the leftover pizza from yesterday. It was just as delicious today.

There is a freeze warning tonight so I spent the day in my garden gathering up all that I could. Then I had to find ways to use up what I had picked. I decided to make a small batch of green tomato salsa. I didn't have all of the ingredients that I normally use so I just used what I had on hand. Instead of lime juice, I used lemon. I didn't have nearly enough cilantro either so I tossed in a little basil. It turned out ok. It isn't quite as awesome as the normal recipe but it made three small jars. I decided that I may as well can them because it would be too much to just keep in the fridge. I also grabbed a little of the hot pepper relish that I had made for my hubby and put it in two tiny jars. I'm kind of hoping this is the last canning I do for this year. I feel like I've cooked and cooked and cooked. And cooked. I will need to work on corn tomorrow. How exciting. It is the first year that we have grown corn.

Tonight's dinner was an experiment. My hubby had seen a new veggie burger in the store. I dug in tonight and grilled us up some of the Morning Star Grillers soy burger. I also grilled red onion and mushrooms. I had american cheese and my hubby had three pepper cheese. I added garden lettuce, ketchup, and mustard. I served our burgers with a side salad and homemade pickles. Oh boy. I was a little nervous for a soy burger. I've liked our bean burgers. But soy?

Wow. I can't believe I liked it. The burger was surprisingly similar to a beef burger. All four of us liked them. I think next time I will add more awesome toppings (caramelized onions!). This wasn't the best "beefy" burger but dressing it up a little will make it a definite repeat at our house. Overall, a win.

No comments:

Post a Comment