Monday, September 30, 2013

Menu surprise

September 30, 2013

We've had a busy few days. We had a leftover night but to make it more fun we added in a movie. We worked really hard on yard work and I didn't feel like cooking so we ordered a pizza. I wanted a quick dinner yesterday. I grabbed some leftovers out of the fridge and got to work.

I wanted to make veggie and quinoa quesadillas. I cooked up onion, garlic, leeks, mushrooms, and green peppers. I stirred in some leftover quinoa, corn, garlic & wine seasoning, and salt. I added mexican cheese and cilantro. Then I toasted up our quesadillas. I thought they were pretty good. The kids were iffy about them so I also made them cheese quesadillas.
I was busy making a huge batch of jalapeno poppers this afternoon. I took a break half way through to grab some lunch. Hmmmm. There was a bunch of the quinoa quesadilla filling leftover. If it's good in a tortilla, it should be good on a bun. Right? I haven't been steered wrong with a melty sandwich yet. I warmed up some of the filling and put it on a club roll. I topped it with a few slices of provolone cheese and popped it under the broiler. Sure enough. It was tasty enough that I didn't want to stop long enough to go grab a fork! 


I felt kind of bad that the kids didn't really like a few of my dinners lately. So I had the kids help make a menu list this week. I asked my son what he wanted. He surprised me by saying he wanted the spinach and artichoke pasta I had made before. You know, the pasta sauce that I made out of TOFU. Wow. You got it. I went to the cupboard and checked out my pasta stash. I told him that I could make it with regular spaghetti noodles or spinach noodles. He asked for spinach. WHAT? I'm not really sure what's going on with my kiddo but I like it! 

Last time I made this sauce, I used silken tofu. Today all I had was firm. I decided not to press it. I figured that seeing as I want it to be a sauce, I wouldn't take out any water. I put half of the block of tofu in the food processor with about 1/4 cup milk. Meanwhile, I sauteed onion, garlic, and spinach/arugula mix. I added in a little white wine, garlic & wine seasoning, and salt. I added the spinach mix to the food processor along with half a can of artichoke hearts. I put the sauce into a pan and added some freshly grated parmesan. I didn't measure it (my guess is 3/4 cup) - it was just enough that my son's arm got tired. Ha. I stirred in some basil. It was pretty thick so I added more milk to thin it out (maybe about 1/2 cup). I served it with the spinach pasta and some steamed green beans. 

Both of the kids said it was good. I was surprised that we all liked the spinach pasta. It only had three ingredients: organic whole durham flour, spray dried spinach powder, and water. For a healthy pasta, it wasn't bad at all. The three of us all want to buy it again. Score!


No comments:

Post a Comment