Tuesday, September 3, 2013

The easiest dinner

August 29 - September 3, 2013

I've been a slacker. I took a few days off of my blog for a couple reasons. One, I've been busy. I have shredded and frozen 12 cups of zucchini. I made 34 jalapeno poppers. I made 27 jars of pizza sauce. Two, I was too tired to cook or not very hungry so some of our dinners weren't really blog worthy. Ha. A few of the notable things we have had in the past few days are the following.

My hubby made homemade mozzarella sticks. First, he froze string cheese. Then he dredged them in flour that was seasoned with garlic & wine seasoning, seasoned salt, Italian seasoning, and corn meal. Then they dipped in egg and back into the flour. He fried them in oil until golden brown and then served them with leftover homemade pizza sauce. They turned out great! We also made fried mushrooms and fried green tomatoes that night along with our dinner. However, the star was the mozzarella sticks.

We had grilled cheese one night. But not any old grilled cheese. We had caramelized onion, some of the leftover corn/green pepper/mushroom mix, provolone cheese, muenster cheese, and my hubby had chipotle cheddar. Oh wow. Every grilled cheese should be so good!

We also tried vegetarian sausage. I'm not big on sausage period so I was a little nervous. I was surprised. They actually tasted pretty good. My hubby and I both said we would buy them again. We topped them with grilled onion, homemade relish, ketchup, mustard, and my hubby had habanero mustard.

Now on to tonight's dinner. The easiest dinner ever. Well, actually it began at lunchtime. I wanted pasta. I decided to make extra shells so that I could make a pasta salad for dinner. After cooling the pasta, I looked in the fridge to see what I had to use up. I had containers of red onion, green onion, peas, more of the leftover corn/green pepper/mushroom mix, and black beans processed with homemade salsa. I added them all to the pasta. I stirred in the end of a bottle of catalina dressing. I also added the end of a bag of mexican cheese. I love having containers of chopped veggies all ready to go. I try to keep some of our favorite veggies chopped because we use them in so many different dishes. Onion, green pepper, and mushrooms are put in salads, sandwiches, and just about everything in between. For our side tonight, I had a container of green beans in the fridge. They were from my garden and I had previously washed them and snipped the ends. All I had to do tonight was throw them in the steamer pot. I wanted dessert. Who doesn't?? I pulled out my favorite new kitchen item: the apple corer/peeler/slicer. I had 5 cups of beautifully sliced apples in no time. I melted some butter and stirred it into the mix for apple crisp. It baked while we ate dinner. Aaahhhh. Easy dinner that tastes delicious. The kids each had two helpings of the pasta salad as I made it this afternoon. They had two helpings each again at dinner. I'd say that's a win!

No comments:

Post a Comment