Saturday, September 21, 2013

Sweet potato pizza

September 19, 20, & 21, 2013

Thursday was a busy day. I decided to pull everything out of my garden and finish it up for the year. I had a ton of green onions and carrots to take care of. I also cut my thyme and lettuce. After working on the garden food for 6 hours, I was in no mood to make dinner. I was beat. I was about to suggest that we could order dinner in when the kids spoke up. They wanted to cook for me. Yay! They put together cold subs for them and hot subs for my hubby and me. I assisted with chopping some veggies and putting our subs under the broiler. Our sandwiches were on our choice of a club or hawaiian sweet roll. Toppings were ham (for the kids), sauteed red onion/leek/green pepper/garlic/mushrooms (for my hubby and me), lettuce, spinach, green onion, cucumber, avocado, thyme, cilantro, and our choice of provolone/muenster/3 pepper cheese. They served it with chips, homemade pickles, and watermelon.

Friday we had a work function for my hubby. We decided to go out to eat Japanese on our way.

Tonight I decided to try my hand at surpassing my hubby's genius lunch from earlier this week. His pizza was so incredible. He had used my leftover cream of potato/leek/fennel soup as the sauce. Tonight I made a white pizza sauce.

Melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Stir in 3 tablespoons of flour. Slowly whisk in 1 cup of milk. Add 1/4 teaspoon of salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 1 garlic clove, a few sprigs of thyme (leaves taken off the stems), and 1/2 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese. Just stir until the cheese is melted and then take off of the heat.

I topped the pizza with roasted sweet potato, caramelized onions, sauteed garlic/mushrooms/spinach/arugula, corn, and provolone/parmesan/mozzarella cheeses. I asked the kids what they wanted on their pieces. They both said just cheese.....until I had them taste the sweet potato. Then they added sweet potato. They munched on the extra slices while I grabbed the next ingredients. I had them try corn. Yep, add corn and then they finished the leftover corn. I couldn't change their minds about the mushroom saute or the caramelized onions though.

The pizza turned out great. It was well balanced between the salty and savory cheese and the sweetness from the onions, sweet potatoes, and corn. My daughter loved it. I think I still prefer the pizza my hubby made with my soup as the sauce. It just gave it a little bit extra flavor. However, had I not had that pizza earlier this week, I would have really loved tonight's pizza! I'd say our first attempt at sweet potato pizza was a success!

No comments:

Post a Comment