Wednesday, September 18, 2013

Sausage stir fry

September 18, 2013

The kids finished up our week strong. Neither one of them bought school lunch at all this past week! I was really craving Subway this afternoon but I took the kids' lead and ate what we had at home.

My pre-challenge grocery weekly average was $175. Today I spent $16.54 on toiletries/cleaners. I spent $9.61 on impulse items. I picked up a can of artichoke hearts, vegetarian sausage, black bean hummus, and a portobello cream sauce starter. I spent $95.77 on food. However, I needed special ingredients because we have something awesome coming up. We are doing something different this year. We are having our "spooky dinner" as a way to start off the Halloween season. We had to move it up this year due to our schedules and thought it would be a fun weekend to decorate and have our spooky dinner too. I can't wait to share it with you! I spent $10.89 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $135.68 out of pocket. This is a savings of $39.32. My pre-challenge weekly restaurant average was $80. This week I went out for lunch with friends, a lunch date with my hubby, and out for lunch with my hubby and the kiddos. The cafe (two of the lunches) only takes cash and I didn't write down how much we spent. My best guess puts our weekly spending at $75. No savings. The kids did amazing and saved $21 by packing lunches every day. This brings our savings for this week to $60.32. Our grand total savings is $4,541.70 in 336 days!

Tonight's dinner was an experiment. I wanted to try a vegetarian sausage. The package said to just use it as you would any ground sausage. Hmmmm. That's kind of like ground beef. I decided to make some jasmine rice. I cooked up the sausage in a little bit of olive oil. I cooked up carrots, broccoli, cauliflower, red onion, leek, purple cabbage, and green pepper. I added in stir fry sauce and soy sauce. I seasoned it with garlic & wine seasoning and chopped garlic. I also seasoned the sausage with the garlic & wine seasoning. I served it with teriyaki sauce and sushi ginger.

The sausage was a success. My daughter loved it and had two helpings. The rest of us liked it. I wasn't crazy about it plain (although, I don't really like regular sausage either) but once it was mixed in with everything else I liked it. I even had seconds. I'm excited to try it out in other recipes.



No comments:

Post a Comment