Tuesday, September 17, 2013

Healthier fettuchini

September 17, 2013

Once again, the kids packed their lunch. I checked their school accounts today and I couldn't believe how little money they have spent since school started. They are doing an awesome job of using up leftovers. The best part is they are doing it happily and without me even asking. Score!

My hubby was home for lunch today. He asked if I wanted to go out. Uh oh. Hold strong. We settled on making sandwiches under the broiler. We love melty goodness sandwiches. My hubby sauteed red onion, portobello mushrooms, green and red peppers, and fresh garlic. I had muenster cheese and he had three pepper cheese. Under the broiler our little hawaiian sweet sub roll sandwiches went. I added on spinach and avocado. Oh wow. I was sad to see the end of my sandwich. Ha!

My hubby had to work through dinner. I thought I would have a couple friends over for spaghetti. My friends couldn't make it tonight. I looked through the cupboards and saw a pack of pasta that has been hanging out waiting for us to try. I figured seeing as my friends weren't coming then it was a good night to try something new. How would the kids like mung bean pasta? Better yet....how would I like mung bean pasta?!

I steamed green beans from my garden. I have a bunch of bread that needs to be used up (seeing as my son has been eating leftovers instead of his usual peanut butter and jelly sandwiches). I melted some butter and added chopped garlic and some garlic & wine seasoning. I drizzled it over the bread and toasted them up in a pan. I popped open a jar of my home canned spaghetti sauce. The pasta only takes about 6 minutes to cook. My son walked by as I was cooking and he said, "mmmmm those plain noodles smell good mom". WHAT?! I topped our fettuchini with freshly grated parmesan cheese.

Here we go. My son took a few bites and said "this is really delicious". A few bites later he leaned over to my plate. He pointed at the fettuchini and said "this". Then he pointed at the bread and said "this". Next up was the green beans and he said "and this"......are delicious! Yay! My daughter was more quiet but I asked her after we ate and she said she loved it. As for me: it didn't really have a bean taste. It had a different texture than white pasta, which is what we are used to. It didn't really absorb the spaghetti sauce and it got a little watery after being on the fettuchini for awhile. No big deal. It's just a little messier. It definitely tastes different from white pasta but it's pretty good for a healthier option. I think we will be having mung bean pasta again. I see alfredo in our future.

No comments:

Post a Comment