Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Quinoa patties

September 24, 2013

The kids only had half a day of school today. My daughter's school got out before lunch. My son was able to pack his lunch though. I spent the day making a small batch of applesauce. Pumpkin pie flavor was a hit last time so that is what I went with today.

My daughter came home and we worked on her math. Wow. I can't believe how complicated they are making 5th grade math. We must've worked on it for two hours. I think we have it straightened out now though (hopefully!).

I decided to try out some new dishes for dinner. I saw on Fat Free Vegan Kitchen a recipe for homestyle green beans and potatoes. I tried it out. Basically, saute some onion and garlic. Add in chunked potatoes (I used red, purple, and yellow) and green beans. Add broth (homemade vegetable) until it just covers the potatoes. Season with salt and pepper. During the last few minutes of cooking, add 1/4 teaspoon of liquid smoke. I added an extra splash.

We really liked the beet burgers that we made for our spooky dinner. I wanted to make a quinoa patty tonight and decided to base it off of that beet burger. We mixed cooked quinoa, red onion, garlic, leftover shredded beet, freshly grated parmesan cheese, egg, panko bread crumbs, and black beans. My hubby seasoned them with garlic & wine seasoning, pepper, and paprika. He cooked them up in a little olive oil. I served it with a side salad. My son had fun learning how to use a sharp knife. He cut the carrots, onion, and green beans tonight. We had carrots, red onion, green pepper, cucumber, and sunflower seeds on our salad. I had my patty with a little of Country Bob's all purpose sauce (like a steak sauce). My hubby decided to add cheese to his and have it like a burger. My kids saw him grab the burger bun and they wanted in on that deal too. Ha. For dessert, I made apple crisp.

How did dinner turn out? The potatoes and green beans were missing something. They didn't really have much flavor. The quinoa patties were really good. I just love the beet flavor. It really stands out. My son said it was ok. My hubby, daughter, and I all really liked it though. Crazy son. He just doesn't get it. :) On to dessert.... I made the apple crisp really thin. Let's face it. The best part of apple crisp is the topping and after all those math problems today, I needed it!

No comments:

Post a Comment