Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pie, pie, and more pie

September 26, 2013

Today's food was awesome! The best part is that there were two dishes that I thought I might be crazy for trying but they turned out so delicious.

I wanted to use up leftovers for lunch. I pulled some containers out of the fridge. I found grilled red onion and mushrooms, caramelized onions, and roasted butternut squash. I also grabbed the spinach and arugula mix, cilantro, muenster cheese, and provolone cheese. I warmed the veggies and piled them onto a club roll. I topped them with cheese and popped them under the broiler. Oh my gosh. I wasn't prepared for how delicious butternut squash and caramelized onion would be together on a melty sandwich! It makes me want to go buy another squash just to make sandwiches with. Yum!

I found a recipe today from Martha Stewart for tortilla and black bean pie. Hmmmm. Her recipe calls for 2 cans black beans, 1 pack frozen corn, 2 garlic cloves, 1 jalapeno, 1 onion, 4 scallions, salt, pepper, 1/2 teaspoon cumin, 4 flour tortillas, 8 oz cheddar cheese, and 12 oz beer. She cooks the beans in beer. Really? I've never tried to cook with beer before.  I altered the recipe some and this is what I came up with.

I sauteed half an onion, two garlic cloves, half a green pepper, and half a box of mushrooms in some olive oil. After about five minutes, I added in 2 cups of black beans. I thought the recipe sounded like way too much beans (even for vegetarians) so I just added one bag from my freezer. I added salt, pepper, and cumin. I added a few extra shakes of cumin. I also added in paprika and oregano. I let it simmer until the beer had cooked out. I stirred in a bag of corn (frozen from farmer's market: about 4 cobs worth) and a handful of green onion. I let it cook a few minutes until most of the corn's juices were absorbed. I greased the bottom of a springform pan. I put in a tortilla and topped it with about 1/4 of the bean mixture. I topped it with mexican cheese. Tortilla. 1/4 bean mixture. Mexican cheese. Tortilla. 1/4 bean mixture. Cheddar cheese (I wanted mexican on top for a better presentation). Tortilla. Rest of bean mixture. Mexican cheese. It baked at 400 just until the cheese was melted (maybe 15 minutes). Carefully remove the sides of the pan. The recipe called for green onions on top. I decided to use cilantro and sour cream instead. I wanted the entire meal to be "pie" because my daughter has a slight obsession with pie. Ha. I served our taco pie with some of my homemade pumpkin pie applesauce. I couldn't figure out how to make our veggies into pie. Then it hit me. I have these cute little single serve pie plates. I put some veggie dip in the bottom and added veggies around the sides. Pie veggies. Ha. For dessert, I made a pina colada cheesecake pie. It was a mix that we got at a local wine festival. I just had to add the mix to cream cheese and cool whip. Easy as pie!

My daughter renamed the meal taco pie. How did we like it? My hubby said it was delicious. My daughter loved it. I loved it. It is now one of my favorite meals. My son wasn't a big fan. He said he would like it if it didn't have black beans. I told him that next time I could make him a separate one minus the beans. Deal.


No comments:

Post a Comment