Sunday, September 15, 2013

My hubby's genius lunch

September 15, 2013

Today was a pretty incredible day for the challenge. You've read about me doing some pretty weird things with leftovers throughout this challenge. Today was a day of recreating leftovers.

My hubby had an idea for lunch. It was so out there that I had to sit and think it through for a minute to figure out if I should give him my "ok". He wanted to make pizza and instead of using pizza sauce he wanted to use....my leftover cream of potato, leek, and fennel soup. WHAT?! Soup as a pizza sauce? He then said that he would also add caramelized onion and sauteed mushrooms. Ok, he had me at caramelized onions. He added a little garlic & wine seasoning on top of the soup, er, I mean sauce. Ha. He finished the pizza with provolone, mozzarella, and parmesan cheese. How in the world is this going to work?! Oh. My. Gosh. Seriously. After every single bite, I let out a sigh or an "oh wow". I kept talking about this pizza for a good ten minutes after we got done eating. This pizza was amazing. I can't wait to make another batch of soup and you can bet there will be pizza the next day!

I couldn't let my hubby out "challenge" me so I tried to come up with something to use leftovers for dinner. I had seen a recipe for stuffed potatoes several months ago. Most recipes call for kidney beans and chili to stuff the potatoes. Hey, I have leftover vegetarian quinoa chili in the fridge. Perfect. I cut the potatoes in half and boiled them for ten minutes. I scooped out 2/3 of the potato. I gave the potatoes a coating of olive oil and baked at 375 for 20 minutes. I filled the potatoes with the chili and topped half of them with cheddar and half with mexican cheese. They baked at 400 for ten more minutes. I couldn't bring myself to throw out all the potato that I had scooped out. I threw them into a pan with some butter, fresh garlic, some chopped fennel, salt, pepper, and garlic & wine seasoning. After a few minutes, I added in a little local white wine. I figured we could sample them tonight and someone would have them for lunch tomorrow. I also got a side salad ready and added in some sliced fennel to try.

The stuffed potatoes turned out great. The chili really went well with it. I think next time I will serve them with a little sour cream on top. The scooped out potato and fennel saute was good too. The fennel actually worked in the salad. I'm excited that we found two new ingredients this weekend that we really like (leek was the other).

Ok, now I just have to wait about 14 1/2 hours until I can have another slice of that pizza for lunch tomorrow.....

No comments:

Post a Comment