Monday, June 24, 2013

Chocolate Chip Blondies

June 22, 23, & 24, 2013

We've been really busy so I had to combine some posts. On Saturday, we had to run some errands and pick up supplies to start building a treehouse! The kids are so excited. We decided to go to Buffalo Wild Wings while we were out seeing as I had a coupon. We came home and started building. And building. And building. We took a quick break for dinner (ordered pizza) and built some more. We had a veggie pizza with onion, mushrooms, peppers, olives, and broccoli. We never had broccoli on a pizza before. It was different but added a good crunch.

On Sunday, we had to go get more supplies. This was after my hubby started working on the treehouse at 7:30 a.m. I think my hubby is enjoying this just as much as the kids. Ha. We ate a lunch of leftovers: pasta, taco pasta salad, beans, veggie lettuce/spinach salad. That's right. We spent the day building again! See who's enjoying it more! We decided to stay outside and cook over a camp fire. We had pudgy pies (think grilled cheese but with pizza). We filled our pudgy pies with spinach, black olives, onion, mushrooms, broccoli, green/red pepper, provolone, and mozzarella cheese. We had dessert pudgy pies with raspberry pie filling. Yum!

My hubby had this morning off so he got right to work on the treehouse. I tilled the garden and replanted the beans/peas. We came in for a lunch of portobello burgers. He grilled up some onion, yellow pepper, and poblano peppers. I topped my burger with american cheese. I made a side salad of lettuce, spinach, pea shoots, arugula, radishes, and japanese cucumber all from the farmer's market. I also added in red onion and sunflower seeds. Portobello burgers are awesome. They are so juicy and flavorful.

My hubby had to work this evening so it was just me and the kiddos for dinner. We settled on baking some of Gardein brand (fake) chicken tenders. I steamed some asparagus from the farmer's market. I wanted to try cranberry orzo that I had found at a health food store. We tested it plain, with parmesan cheese, and with the tomato garlic dipping sauce that we found at the food & wine festival. We decided on the dipping sauce. The pasta was strange. I love the quinoa craisin pilaf I make so I thought that the cranberry orzo would be good. It just didn't really work for us. So we moved on to dessert.

Remember the cookie dough hummus I make? My kids can't get enough of that stuff. I got the recipe from Chocolate Covered Katie. I decided to check out her website tonight and try something new. I thought the Chocolate Chip Blondies sounded good. 1 1/2 cups chickpeas, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup quick oats, 1/4 cup peanut butter, and 1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used chopped chocolate bars). Blend all ingredients (except chocolate) in a food processor until smooth. Stir in chips. Spread in a greased 8x8 pan and bake for 30 minutes at 350. Katie mentions that they may look underdone when you pull them out of the oven but they will firm up as they cool. I debated using less sugar but didn't want to mess with the recipe seeing as this was the first time I made it.

The kids and I each ate a blondie. My son asked for another one. As I got up to get it for him, he asked "you are letting us have another one? Why, were we being nice"? Ha. I told him they were pretty healthy (eh, minus the sugar). That led to my daughter and I having another one. I found a jar of carmel sauce in the fridge and drizzled some on. Then my son had another. Oh god. Half the pan is gone. Ha!


No comments:

Post a Comment