Tuesday, June 18, 2013

Portobello burger

June 18, 2013

The kids both packed their lunches today. My daughter brought a peanut butter sandwich. She was excited because I found a new kind of peanut butter. Banana granola nut (peanut butter). She also brought some applesauce. My son had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and some grapes. I had some leftover risotto. I volunteered at school for awhile today. They had pizza, subs, and salad for the volunteers so I grabbed a salad.

Another night of new recipes. We are on a roll. My hubby and I decided to try a portobello mushroom burger. He lit up the charcoal and set to grilling. He topped them with some grilled zucchini, yellow squash, red/yellow/green pepper, jalapeno, and red onion. I had american cheese and he had provolone. I also topped my burger with spinach, avocado, ketchup, and mustard. The kids didn't want a mushroom burger so I tried something else new for them. I had a package of soybean pasta that was calling their name. Well, my daughter asked for it so I guess she was calling its name. Ha. I served it with a jar of homemade spaghetti sauce. We also had some grilled asparagus and the rest of the strawberries.

How did our new food turn out? First, the burgers. Let me say wow. I was surprised how much I liked it. My hubby said he loved them and we have to make them more often. Ha. Deal. One thing I have missed since we started making different veggie/bean burgers is the juiciness of a beef burger. Portobello mushrooms definitely bring the juice! The pasta was surprisingly good too. It has a different texture than regular pasta of course. It is almost a cross between spaghetti and ramen noodles. The surprise was that it didn't have a bean flavor. At all. Awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment