Tuesday, June 11, 2013

Tempeh tacos

June 11, 2013

It's my birthday! One of my favorite birthday wishes today was when my husband's cousin wished me a "flavorful" day. :) I'm such a foodie.

My kids both packed peanut butter sandwiches, fruit, and yogurt smoothies. I was surprised at lunch. Two of my friends stopped over bearing lunch! Vegetarian calzone, chocolate chip cookies, and cookies and creme cake. Yes please!

I couldn't decide what to make for dinner. My daughter said that today is national taco day. Tacos it is. I had a package of tempeh that I have been meaning to try. Oh boy, here we go...

I started out by cooking red onion, green/red/yellow peppers, garlic, and portobello mushrooms. I seasoned them with cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and chili powder (and of course some local white wine). I set them to the side. I added a dash of olive oil to the pan and crumbled in half of the tempeh. I seasoned it with the same seasonings. I chopped up lettuce and spinach (both from farmer's market), avocado, tomato, and cilantro. We also worked on some of the leftover fruit (strawberries and pineapple) seeing as tomorrow is shopping day. I put a few extra pieces of tempeh on my plate so you could get a better look at what it looks like. What did we think of the tempeh? Half way through dinner my son said "I like the meat ok". Simultaneously, he reached for the tempeh pieces that were on my plate! What a thief! I realized that I forgot to add the pepper/mushroom mix to my taco. Of course I realized this after I had finished it. So I helped myself to a pile of veggies on the side. After I ate, I brought my plate to the kitchen and asked if they needed anything. My daughter asked to finish off the rest of the tempeh. Wow. I would say dinner was a success! It actually had a nice chewy texture to it. The flavor? It was almost nutty. I read that you can fry it in slices too. I'm excited to try it again in another dish. Ok, now it's almost time for cake. Yep. I had a very flavorful day.


No comments:

Post a Comment