Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Loaded nachos & grocery savings

June 25, 2013

My hubby had a late work day today. He made an early lunch before he headed in and there was a few bites left for me to try. He cooked up some onion, red/green pepper, and mushrooms. He added in provolone and cheddar cheese and put it in a tortilla. Oh yum. The garlic and wine seasoning (from The Melting Pot) is just so delicious. Our bottle is almost out so it looks like it is time to hit up the restaurant again! Those few bites were so good that I wanted to recreate it for my lunch. I cooked up onion, green/red pepper, poblano pepper, and mushrooms in a little local white wine. I stirred in mexican cheese. I spread some black bean and salsa (processed) in my tortilla and topped it with the veggie mix along with some arugula. Yum. Yum.

My pre-challenge grocery shopping average was $175. My cupboards have been building up again (I can't stop buying dry beans, pasta, and rice) and I still had some fruit/veggies but I couldn't put off shopping any longer. I had to go today. I ran out of mountain dew (gasp!), paper plates (which is a no go in my house), along with other stuff we use on a regular basis. I wanted to keep the food portion of my bill down today and have us use up some of what we have at home already. Today I spent $45.29 on toiletries/cleaners. Yikes. I told you we were running out of stuff! I spent $66.45 on food. I could have had that $13 lower but I had four dollar off coupons that would expire before I shop again (on freezer "non" chicken items) so I figured I would grab them today and stick them in the freezer. I spent $2.99 on impulse items. I saw cranberry orange oatmeal cookies from the bakery. Yeah, there was no walking past those cookies! I spent $7.26 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $120.53 out of pocket. This is a savings of $54.47. My pre-challenge weekly average at restaurants was $80. This week we ate at Buffalo Wild Wings (with a coupon) and ordered a pizza. We spent $56.71 which is a savings of $23.29. The kids are out of school for the summer so I can't count their school lunch savings. Boo. Our weekly savings is $77.76. This brings our grand total savings to $3,955.71 in 251 days!

My daughter had a pizza party for her final Girl Scout meeting tonight. My son wanted to just have cereal, strawberries, and a yogurt smoothie for dinner. Perfect. It gets my hubby and I off the hook for dinner. I decided to make some nachos for us. I wanted to add some veggies to the nachos so that I could pretend we were eating a somewhat healthy meal. Ha. I sauteed some red onion, fresh garlic, red/green/poblano peppers, zucchini, and mushrooms with garlic wine seasoning in local white wine. I let the mixture cool while I picked up my daughter. I layered tortilla chips, the veggie mixture, cilantro, black beans, avocado, and black olives. My hubby put crunchy jalapenos (salad toppers) on his side. I topped it with some mexican and cheddar cheese. It went under the broiler until the cheese was melted. After it came out of the oven, we added sour cream. Pull up to the couch with a couple of beers and our nachos. Ahhhh. My kind of night. How did the veggies work on nachos? Oh. My. Gosh! I LOVED them. You would think that zucchini wouldn't belong. However, it was delicious. My hubby said they were really good. He would like a little taco flavor in them next time. Easy enough. I'll add some taco seasoning to the veggies as they cook. Yum. A definite do again. And again.

No comments:

Post a Comment