Friday, June 21, 2013

Farmer's market finds & Pot luck

June 21, 2013

We had fun making our lunch today. Ok, so maybe I had fun. :) I was excited to try out some new items that I found at the farmer's market this morning. I have never tried pea shoots or arugula before. We made wraps (my daughter had a salad) with leftover black bean salsa mixture, leftover grilled tofu, and leftover white beans (I had made a big batch yesterday to freeze). We also grilled up some red onion, green/yellow/red peppers, poblano and jalapeno peppers, and baby bella mushrooms. We added in some avocado, japanese cucumber, fresh spinach, pea shoots, and arugula. Yum!

Pea shoots are so fun. They are like little salad greens but taste like a pea pod. I'm glad I bought two containers today because we ate just about an entire container already! Arugula was really good too. I've heard it described as peppery. I don't know if I would call it peppery but it does have a nice "seasoned" taste to it making it much more flavorful than just lettuce.

We have a potluck to go to for my hubby's work tonight. We made a batch of deviled eggs with avocado, mustard, homemade relish, salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper. I wanted to make another dish to share. I settled on taco pasta salad. I took the recipe I came up with a few weeks ago that we had for dinner. Instead of having it topped with cheese and baked, I stirred some cheese into it and we will have it as a cold salad. I sauteed red and yellow onions. I stirred in some garlic, red/green/yellow peppers, corn (frozen from farmer's market), half a can of pink beans (mashed), and about a cup of black beans. I took a quart of my homemade salsa and put it through the food processor so it would be more of a sauce consistency. I added it to the bean mixture. I stirred that into some small veggie pasta shells along with a couple handfuls of mexican cheese and some freshly chopped cilantro.

No comments:

Post a Comment