Saturday, June 8, 2013

Sweet potato shepherd's pie

June 8, 2013

This morning was pretty remarkable. I actually cooked breakfast! My daughter asked for pancakes which was perfect because I had a new package to try. Normally we buy just regular pancake mix. Geez, it has 22 ingredients (plus those that make up 2 of the 22). Seriously? I wanted to try an organic buckwheat mix (hoping it would be similar to the amazing pancakes we had at a vegetarian cafe). How many ingredients were in this package? 5 ingredients (not including those that made up 1 of the 5). I added in 2/3 cup of the mix, 1 egg, 2 tsp oil (I used smart balance for the first time), 2 tsp local honey, 3/4 cup almond milk, and some cinnamon. They were delicious. Not quite like the cafe's but they had a ton of flavor. I served them with some of my father in law's homemade maple syrup. Yum!

I took the kids out and we hit up some rummage sales. We stopped for a quick Subway lunch before continuing on to our errands. I got home and tackled some yard projects. By the time I came into the house, I was exhausted. Ugh. Dinner. I wanted something fast. Then it hit me. Genius. Pure genius. I had leftover homemade veggie quinoa soup. I had leftover mashed sweet potatoes. Do you know where I'm going yet? I scooped out some of the soup (trying to leave behind most of the broth) and put it into a small glass casserole pan. I topped it with some sweet potatoes. Next, mexican and cheddar cheese joined the party. I popped it in the oven (350) until bubbly and then under the broiler to brown up the cheese. Voila! Sweet potato shepherd's pie! It was awesome! My daughter went back for seconds (there was only about a half a serving in there). Then she said "ah man, I wish there was more". I told her that I could make more for lunch tomorrow. Her reply, "Yay"!

We were in the mood for milkshakes tonight. I had about 1/3 pint of dairy free coconut ice cream (made out of coconut milk). I put that along with a splash of almond milk and a chunk of fresh pineapple into the food processor. The next batch I used 1/3 pint of raspberry fudge greek frozen yogurt, 1/2 pack of raspberries, and almond milk. For some reason, this one needed more almond milk. They were both delicious!

No comments:

Post a Comment