Saturday, August 17, 2013

A few days in the life of...

August 15, 16, & 17, 2013

Here we go. Another few busy days. I had a friend over on Thursday. Why? I was going to make pickles (again) and she hadn't made them before. Perfect time for her to come over and learn how to make some. We spent the day making 4 quarts and 11 pints of pickles. My friend left and I realized that I still had some pickle juice leftover. Hmmm. I threw 4 more pints together of mixed veggies (green beans, cauliflower, and peppers.

The kids got to test for their orange belt in karate on Thursday evening. We had a quick dinner before we left. My hubby and I had melty deliciousness. We made sandwiches on mini sweet Hawaiian sub buns. We sauteed onions, mushrooms, and green peppers. We also added arugula and mexican/cheddar cheeses. Into the oven for a few minutes and we were all set. The kids had peanut butter sandwiches and fruit.

Friday of course means the farmer's market. I scored a huge bucket of tomatoes which then turned my lazy day into a 5 hour tomato session! I canned 7 quarts and 4 pints of tomatoes. I also wound up buying another basket of pickling cucumbers but those had to wait. I was too tired to make dinner so we ordered in. We had stuffed riggies and a veggie pizza from a local Italian restaurant. The pizza had onion, mushrooms, green peppers, black olives, and broccoli. Yes, I know. Broccoli doesn't sound good as a pizza topping. It totally works!

My hubby and I spent our morning making, you guessed it, more pickles. He loves those things. The hotter the better. We made 14 pints today. I'm thinking I may be done making pickles for this year. We will see if I am able to walk past the pickling cucumbers next Friday. Ha! For lunch today we had burgers. My hubby and I had grilled portobello mushrooms. He topped them with smashed black beans, fresh garlic, green onion, arugula, and avocado. He also had some habanero peppers. I had american cheese. He had buffalo blue cheese and provolone. The kids had beef burgers. We had to stay in the pickle mood so we had a side of homemade pickles. The kids tackled some more of the fruit they scored at the farmer's market.

Time for dinner. A beautiful summer evening. To me that shouts out a bonfire and pudgy pies. There is nothing better than a campfire sandwich and hanging out with my family. Tonight's pudgy pies had homemade pizza sauce, onion, green pepper, mushrooms, black olives, arugula, and mozzarella cheese. YUM!


No comments:

Post a Comment