Thursday, August 1, 2013

Taco pasta salad

August 1, 2013

Tomorrow is grocery shopping day (a couple days late this week). I wanted to eat up random stuff that we had leftover. I just had the rest of the salad mix from yesterday and topped it with some of the leftover craisin quinoa and avocado. My daughter had a peanut butter sandwich. My son had a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. They shared a plate full of farmer's market peaches. I think I cut up three peaches for them. Tomorrow is also farmer's market day. Yay!

My friend's daughter came over for a few hours this afternoon. The kids had popcorn while they watched a movie. Later they wanted a snack. I made a batch of the lemon cupcake dip to serve with apple slices. I did it a little differently today. I mixed together some of the cupcake box mix with some almond milk prior to adding it to the food processor with cannellini beans. I think it made it a little smoother mixing it with milk first.

I decided to make a taco pasta salad for dinner. We really enjoyed it a few days ago so I thought I'd make it again. I used veggie small shell pasta. I looked in the fridge to see what veggies I could add to the salad. I used up the rest of the farmer's market carrots, tomato, peas, and cucumber. I added orange/green bell pepper, green onion (from my garden), and yellow onion. There was a small container of leftover black beans that were processed with homemade salsa. In it went. I saw a container of leftover corn. In it went. There was about a half a can of black olives. In it went. I noticed that the jar of salsa had just about 1/2 cup left. In it went. I added about 1 1/2 cups of whole black beans. I added the end of a bag of mexican cheese and some catalina dressing. I served it with avocado (of course!) and the end of a bag of tortilla chips. Those crushed up chips are finally useful! Ha.

My hubby said that dinner was good. He also added a cherry bomb pepper to his plate. I hadn't heard of it before but when I saw it at the farmer's market last week, I knew he needed it. He said it was pretty good but not extremely spicy with a nice kick. My son had most of his dinner gone and he paused long enough to turn to me and say "mom, this stuff is amazing". Awww, thanks buddy. My daughter said she wants to have it for lunch tomorrow. You got it! It made me feel great because a few of the veggies (cucumber, carrots, peas) kind of sound weird in taco salad but I wanted to throw them in to use them up. It's nice to know I can count on my kiddos to go to town on some veggies!

No comments:

Post a Comment