Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Spaghetti two ways & grocery savings

August 13 & 14, 2013

I started the day by loading up my slow cooker. I added turnips, red and white potatoes, carrots, and onions to vegetable broth. I threw in a couple bay leaves. We packed a lunch and headed to our friend's house for the day. We brought ham (for the kids), provolone cheese, arugula, green peppers, red onion, pea shoots, and cucumbers. We also brought along some veggie chips. We played at the park and then headed home to make dinner. I saw that I had a container of leftover red quinoa. Hmmmm. That will work as a bed for the veggies and broth. I grabbed some Hawaiian rolls and called it good.

Today was grocery day. My pre-challenge weekly average was $175. Today I spent $14.40 on toiletries and cleaners. I spent $69.78 on food. I spent $4.55 on impulse items (I couldn't pass up three cheese tortellini). I spent $7.99 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $97.96 out of pocket. That is a savings of $77.04. Our weekly pre-challenge weekly restaurant average was $80. This week we took our daughter's friend to Pizza Hut, met a friend at TGIF, had Subway on a busy night of canning, and met my hubby for lunch today at the food court at the PX. We spent $114.37 this week. This is an overage of $34.37. Taking my grocery savings and subtracting our overage leaves us with a weekly savings of $42.67. This brings our grand total to $4,316.48 in 301 days.

My daughter has been asking for spaghetti. She had one stipulation: she wanted meat. I can do that. Spaghetti is an easy meal to make part vegetarian and part for meat eaters. I cooked some angel hair pasta and stirred in a jar of my home canned spaghetti sauce. I grabbed a bag of small white beans out of the freezer and broke off about half a cup. I threw them in the microwave on defrost. I browned up some local grass fed ground beef for the kiddos. When I plated our dinner, I just put some beef on their plate and topped it with the spaghetti. I topped my spaghetti with the beans and some freshly grated romano cheese. As an easy side, I decided to make a salad. I added baby kale, baby arugula, green onion, peas, red onion, green pepper, cucumber, carrots, pea shoots, and sunflower seeds. Whew. What a salad! Spaghetti is one of my favorite meals so of course it was delicious! My daughter had a second helping.  As she put her plate into the dishwasher she said,"I appreciate you making meat, mom". Ha. No problem kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment