Thursday, August 8, 2013

Roasted turnips; grocery savings

August 7 & 8, 2013

I did something extraordinary yesterday. Ok, maybe not. However, it was extraordinary for me....I actually made breakfast! I made a batch of buckwheat pancakes for my kiddos. I gave them a little dusting of powdered sugar and topped them with my father in law's homemade maple syrup.

I still had a container of leftover cream cheese, cheddar cheese, and garlic/wine seasoning from when I made homemade jalapeno poppers. My hubby used some of the cheese mixture, kale, onions, mushrooms, and extra mexican cheese to make us quesadillas for lunch. Yum!

I got busy with housework and didn't realize that it was time to make dinner until it was really close to time to go to karate practice. It seems like that always happens on Wednesdays. I threw some black beans and homemade salsa into the food processor. I sauteed some onion, mushrooms, garlic, and green pepper. I got out arugula, cilantro, small white beans, more black beans, sour cream, green onions, and mexican cheese. A night of quick wraps it is.

Today was grocery day. My pre-challenge commissary weekly average was $175. Today I spent $29.78 on toiletries and cleaners. I spent $10.06 on impulse items. I saw a cereal bar made out of quinoa, craisins, and almonds. I couldn't pass them up. I also got the kids each a lunchable. They never get them anymore so I let them today as a treat. We compromised though and they got the small ones that only come with the meal and not the drink, snack, etc. I also got a bag of a new fruit. It is a cross between tangerines and grapefruit. I spent $7.26 on magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $127 out of pocket. This is a savings of $48. My pre-challenge weekly restaurant average was $80. Remember how awful we did last week? We made up for it this week by not eating out at all. Wait, what?! Awesome. That is a savings of $80. Our total savings for this week is $128 which brings our grand total savings to $4,273.81 in 295 days! Yay! This makes me feel much better than last week.

I wanted to have turnips for dinner. Our first experience with turnips (earlier this week) was amazing and I knew we had to plan on having them again tonight. I made a pan of roasted veggies. I had turnips, sweet potato, and onion. I tossed them in olive oil and just used garlic and wine seasoning. They cooked in the oven at 425. Perfect. I also had a pack of vegetarian chicken that bakes at the same temperature. I put together a side salad too. Lettuce from our garden, arugula, spinach, green onion (from my garden), red onion, peas, tomato, cucumber (first one from my garden!), carrots, and sunflower seeds. I used my new julienne peeler for the carrots and cucumber. The kids LOVE julienne veggies. I guess they are more fun when they are cut differently. Ha. My daughter picked out some hawaiian rolls to go along with our meal.

We now have four fans of turnips in our house! I'm already looking forward to figuring out how to use up the rest of the ones our friends gave us!


No comments:

Post a Comment