Friday, August 23, 2013

Coconut sauce

August 23, 2013

What a great food day! We started off by trying out a new pancake mix. I found a package of apple cinnamon pancake mix at a small local store. My hubby mixed them up (using apple juice) and cooked us up a batch. I used our juicer and made fresh tangelo (cross between grapefruit and tangerine) juice. We used my father in law's homemade maple syrup. The pancakes were delicious! I will definitely be heading back to buy some more!

We hit up the farmer's market and got our next job for the day: corn. I bought 7 dozen. We had a quick lunch of sandwiches, homemade pickles, and chips. I was thankful for my company today. It made the work go much faster with six hands pitching in. We peeled the corn, blanched it for five minutes, dunked it in a sink of cold water/ice, cut it off the cobs, bagged it, and froze it. Whew. My freezer is happy....and so is my dog. He was thrilled with having to "clean up" all the corn that flew off the counter!

Dinner rolled around and we decided to make one of our favorite sauces. The copycat recipe for Red Lobster's Parrot Bay coconut sauce (found at cdkitchen.com). My hubby grilled some chicken thighs with teriyaki sauce for the meat eaters. I baked some vegetarian chicken tenders for the non-meat eaters. I cooked up some jasmine rice figuring that it would soak up the sauce nicely. I steamed some green beans and set out all the veggies/greens for a salad. We used up the rest of the loaf of Italian bread too.

I had  our meat eater company try a bite of the vegetarian chicken tenders. The reply? "So that's just a chicken strip"? Ha. Close. Just not chicken. The sauce was delicious as usual. We were talking after dinner and mentioned how it would be good used as a dessert sauce too. We could put it with pound cake or even over ice cream. Mmmm.

I bet by now you thought I would leave you hanging and you would have to go search for the sauce recipe. Wrong! 1 cup pina colada mix, 1/4 cup water, 2 TBsp crushed pineapple (I used fresh pineapple), 1 TBsp and 1 tsp sweetened coconut flakes, 3 TBsp and 1 tsp powdered sugar, 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch, and 3 tsp cold water. Mix the first five ingredients in a sauce pan. Heat on medium low temperature until it simmers. Stir frequently. Simmer slowly for 10-12 minutes. Mix corn starch and water and add to sauce. Simmer 3-5 more minutes, stirring occasionally. You're welcome!

No comments:

Post a Comment