Saturday, August 24, 2013

The tale of two pies

August 24, 2013

My mom taught me well. I in turn, taught my kiddos well. To do what? Garage sales! My son scored baseball cleats and talked the lady down to a quarter. My daughter talked another lady down to a quarter for a magnetic mirror (brand new) to go in her locker. They found deals left and right but I left empty handed. It was still a lot of fun to see how excited they would get when they would find a bargain.

In the midst of our rummage sale run, we headed out for lunch. Our company treated us to a delicious lunch at Moe's. I stuffed everything I could into my burrito: rice, black beans, tofu, grilled onion/pepper/mushrooms, queso, guacamole, cilantro, and pico de gallo. Yum! We finished up our day out by stopping by our local apple cider mill. We got a few bags of apples, warm cider donuts, and a gallon of apple cider.

My hubby and I got to work on dinner. He made up another batch of his amazing caramelized onions. We duplicated the best pizza (pie) we ever had (the one he made a few nights ago) and added a few items to it. We had grilled green pepper and mushrooms. I sauteed corn and fresh garlic in butter (seasoned with salt and pepper). We also used arugula, black olives, mozzarella cheese, provolone cheese, feta cheese, and a little bit of muenster. Of course we used my homemade pizza sauce. What did our company think? "This pizza could be served in a pizzeria"! She also said that from now on onions will be caramelized in many of her recipes. Score!

Next up was dessert. We made an apple pie with the apples that we got from the cider mill today. I'm not sure where this recipe originated from but I got it from a friend about 14 years ago. 3/4 cup sugar (I do half brown and half white), 2 TBsp flour, 1/2 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp nutmeg, 2 tsp lemon juice, 6-7 cups apples (peeled and sliced), and 1 TB butter. Mix sugar with next five ingredients. Place bottom pie crust into pie plate. Place half of the apples into your pie plate. Sprinkle with half of sugar. Add rest of apples and then the rest of the sugar. Dot with butter. Top with other crust and cut some vent slits. Bake at 425 for 45 minutes. What did our company think of dessert? "This pie is better than the pie we bought at an apple store". Double score!

No comments:

Post a Comment