Wednesday, July 31, 2013

Quinoa salad

July 30 & 31, 2013

We've been bad this week. So so bad. My hubby got home from work yesterday and neither of us felt like cooking dinner. Once again, we went out to eat. There was one good thing about it though. We went to the restaurant that our friends own. It is always nice to support their business. I mean, we have to do our part right? Ha.

Today we ran some errands and did some back to school clothes shopping. We played outside with our puppy for awhile and then worked on some house cleaning. Before I knew it, I had about 40 minutes to figure out what to make for dinner, prepare it, get the kids to eat quickly, get them in their uniforms, take the puppy outside, and get out the door to karate practice. Yikes!

None of us were very hungry so I knew I just had to find a simple meal. I cooked some quinoa and added craisins halfway through the cook time. I kept it simple and only seasoned it with a little salt. I decided to serve the craisin quinoa on a salad. I grabbed the rest of the spinach from the farmer's market. There was still a little bit of baby arugula left. I added green onion (from my garden), japanese cucumber, carrots, peas, orange pepper, and avocado. My daughter had ranch on her salad. My son had his plain (without avocado or dressing). I didn't even bother to add ranch to mine. The quinoa and avocado added plenty of creaminess to the salad.

After karate practice, the kids asked for dessert. Unbelieveably, my son asked for the last leftover chickpea peanut butter blondie over the freezer full of ice cream! He ate all the crumbs out of the pan and asked me to make another batch soon. Ha. Will do son.

No comments:

Post a Comment