Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Broccoli Carrot Pasta & Grocery Savings

July 23 & 24, 2013

Yesterday for lunch, I just heated up some of the leftover grilled veggies and added in some greens (I have a ton of different ones: baby kale, spinach, arugula, broccoli sprouts, and pea shoots). Of course I also threw in some cheese, avocado, and ranch. The wrap was delicious. I took our puppy to his first vet appointment in the afternoon and then spent some time hanging out with my friends who babysat for me while I was at the vet. Dinner time rolled around and I didn't feel like cooking so we headed to a local pizza joint. A veggie pizza, fried cauliflower, and an order of stuffed riggies later.....dinner was served.

Today was grocery shopping day. My pre-challenge weekly average was $175. Today I spent $19.78 on toiletries and cleaners. I spent $7.13 on impulse items. I got vegetarian egg rolls, general tso's chicken (for my daughter), and garlic cheese rolls (think pizza rolls but a different brand). I felt like I bought a ton today. There was probably two things going against me. I was hungry and I had my hubby with me. Ha. I spent $92.42 on food. I spent $7.98 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $130.96 out of pocket. That is a savings of $44.04. My pre-challenge weekly restaurant spendings was $80. This week I went out to lunch with friends, out to lunch with my family, and then out to dinner with my family last night. Yikes. We spent $85.21. Ugh. Over. After taking out our overage, our savings for this week is only $38.83. But hey, it's still savings! This brings our grand total savings to $4,145.81 in 280 days!

Today was a long day. Grocery shopping and errands, a pampered chef party, dinner, and karate. I wanted a quick meal so I just made some pasta with my home canned spaghetti sauce and some steamed green beans. I topped mine with freshly grated parmesan. My daughter topped hers with nutritional yeast. For the pasta, I found a bag of broccoli carrot fettucini that I had bought at a local Amish store. The kids and I really liked them (my hubby worked through dinner). We couldn't taste the veggies at all which I guess is a good thing. The kids said it is a "buy again" pasta.


No comments:

Post a Comment