Monday, July 15, 2013

Pasta salad and stuffed mushrooms

July 15, 2013

I am trying to use up leftovers because grocery shopping day is coming soon. There was a grilled portobello mushroom and some grilled onion/peppers. I decided to have a burger. I warmed them up and put on a slice of baby swiss cheese. I found a container of processed black beans and salsa so I added that too. I grabbed a handful of baby kale and half an avocado. I also heated up the rest of the leftover broccolini. The kids got home from their first day of summer camp and they each had a request. My daughter wanted Mrs. Grass soup with an egg added in (kind of like egg drop soup). My son asked for chicken ramen noodles.

My daughter tried a chickpea salad from the deli section of one of the grocery stores this past week. I told her that I could make a batch of something similar. I figured today could be that day. I grabbed a bag of chickpeas out of the freezer and let them thaw. I was out of bell peppers. Oh well. I figured I could just wing it and add in whatever veggies I could find. I added celery, red onion, cucumber, carrots, peas (shelled from farmer's market), edamame, chickpeas, and pasta. I couldn't decide on a dressing so I put the salad into two containers and one got ranch and the other italian. I don't think I have ever added cucumber to pasta salad before. I works surprisingly well.

I didn't want a big heavy dinner so I threw together some stuffed mushrooms. I sauteed onion, garlic, poblano peppers, and the chopped mushroom stems. I added in local red wine and spinach. I seasoned it with adobo. I cooked up some vegetarian bacon and crumbled it on top of the stuffing. I topped them with mozzarella cheese and freshly grated parmesan. They baked at 375 for about 25 minutes. The mushrooms were good but were missing something. Next time they will get a little more seasonings.

No comments:

Post a Comment