Saturday, July 27, 2013

One dinner: Two salads

July 26 & 27, 2013

Yesterday the kids had their last day of summer camp. We hit up the farmer's market on the way home. I love farmer's markets. I could go to one everyday and still find something that I need to buy. We came home and decided to have a picnic. I put together a pasta salad to take outside. I had a box of small ring pasta. Perfect. I added carrots, red onion, green pepper, tomato, cucumber, small white beans, and peas. I mixed in ranch dressing just in the salad that we put on our plates. I figured I would leave the rest of it undressed so that I could do something different with it the next day. We didn't want too much for dinner last night. Ah. A night of dip for dinner. Yum! Cream cheese, black beans processed with salsa, corn, sauteed red onion/mushrooms/green peppers/poblano pepper, mexican and cheddar cheese, and green onions. The kids had peanut butter sandwiches and peaches from the farmer's market.

Today we went out for lunch at a local restaurant on the river. We had a coupon for a free appetizer so we got the sampler of asian spring rolls (vegetarian), jalapeno poppers, and onion rings. My hubby ordered a portobello burger  with eggplant, roasted red pepper, and zucchini in a balsamic glaze. I had a portobello sandwich stuffed with arugula and three cheeses. My daughter had a buffalo chicken sandwich. My son had macaroni and cheese and applesauce.

We spent the afternoon weeding the garden. By "we", I actually mean the entire family! Yay! So we bribed them with a little money. So what. Ha! Our garden is not growing very well this year. We had way too much rain for about a month and some of the garden stayed under water. I am tired of waiting for the garden to get going so we decided to make do with what we could tonight and make a salad. We thinned out the carrots and green onion to get enough for the salad. My hubby picked two red onions. Yeah they were very small but enough for tonight. We also added our own lettuce, thyme, cilantro, garlic chives, tomato, and green pepper. The only item in our salad that didn't come from our garden was the dressing!

I grabbed the rest of the undressed pasta salad from the fridge. I added in an avocado, mexican cheese, and catalina dressing. We topped it with crushed tortilla chips. Voila. A new meal from leftovers. It was so good! We finished the pasta salad but I'm thinking I may need to make another batch tomorrow!


No comments:

Post a Comment