Sunday, July 14, 2013

Teenage mutant ninja turtle party

July 13 & 14, 2013

What a busy weekend! Yesterday we had our son's 7th birthday party. He wanted to do a teenage mutant ninja turtle theme. My hubby was up for the challenge. He made a turtle cake with his first attempt at fondant. It turned out great! He also put together some turtle apples using fruit by the foot and a little frosting. I'd say he did a good job: my son said it was the most awesome party ever!

My hubby grilled beef burgers for our guests and portobello burgers for us. I made a taco dip out of cream cheese, processed black beans with salsa and taco seasoning, lettuce, tomato, onion, cilantro, and mexican cheese. I made a pot of baked beans. I got the recipe from my hubby's cousin. They were a quick recipe that is semi homemade. We altered her recipe by adding different beans so feel free to use whatever beans you like. The beans can also be either baked or done in the crock pot. We sauteed some onion. Add in a big can of baked beans (I used a vegetarian one), 16 oz of butter beans (drained), 2 cups of great northern beans (from my freezer), 1/2 cup brown sugar, 1/2 cup water, 1/2 cup ketchup, 2 tsp vinegar, and 1 tsp mustard. I let it simmer on the stovetop for about an hour. My son requested a melon assortment and cookie dough hummus. Ha. I can do that. However, he made up for his great choices yesterday by asking for McDonald's for lunch today. Ugh. Today is his actual birthday so I couldn't say no. My hubby, daughter, and I all had Subway instead.

We ran to the pet store today to get a few things that our new puppy needed. Ahem. Ok, so I wanted. Ha! What good is a new puppy if you can't have new toys and all the cool treats, right?! Then we got to work staining the new tree house my hubby built. Before we knew it, it was 7:30. Ugh. Dinner? My hubby sauteed up some onion, peppers, and mushrooms. I heated up some leftover black beans. We made fajitas and added in cilantro, avocado, baby kale, and ranch. We put the leftovers to use and had some baked beans. The kids also ate up the rest of the cookie dough hummus. They also had peaches, apples, mango, and bread.

No comments:

Post a Comment