Monday, July 29, 2013

Peanut Butter Blondies

July 29, 2013

My hubby lucked out and I let him take the only leftover piece of pizza for lunch today. We certainly out did ourselves last night. I can't wait to make another pizza! I decided to make a pasta salad for me to have for lunch and then also have it for a side dish for dinner tonight.

I found a recipe on Thekitchn.com for edamame and cauliflower pasta salad with feta. I altered it a bit. I used orzo pasta. I steamed 3/4 of a head of cauliflower. I added in a package of edamame. The dressing called for 1/3 cup olive oil, 1 tablespoon soy sauce, 1 tablespoon maple syrup, juice of 2 lemons, mint, green onions, salt, and pepper. I only added one lemon and I omitted the mint. It seemed to be missing something. I added in some of our favorite teriyaki sauce and a new sauce I got this week (ginger sesame sauce).

We also made our favorite recipe for vegetarian meatballs (found it on celiag16.hubpages.com). They are made of chickpeas, eggs, onion, parsley, oatmeal, bread crumbs, cheese (we used romano tonight), garlic powder, black pepper, worcestershire sauce, and we also added garlic & wine seasoning from The Melting Pot. My hubby made a sauce for them out of about 1/2 cup sweet chili sauce, 1/2 cup teriyaki sauce, just under one teaspoon soy sauce, 2 tablespoons grey poupon. I wanted some sauteed mushrooms and onions as another side. I saw the container of baby arugula in the fridge. Hmmmm. I asked my hubby to throw a handful into the mix.

I asked the kids if I should make a batch of the chocolate chip blondies made with chickpeas again tonight. My son whined no. I told him that I thought he had liked them when I made them before. I pulled up the blog entry from that night and read it to him. Sure enough, he couldn't get enough of them. Ha. My daughter decided that she wanted to make them. I pulled up the recipe for her (Chocolate Covered Katie). It is a great recipe for kids to make because it is basically just using a food processor. She mixed together 1 1/2 cups of chickpeas, 3/4 tsp baking powder, 1/8 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, 3/4 cup brown sugar, 2 tsp vanilla, 1/4 cup quick oats, and 1/4 cup peanut butter. After those ingredients are all mixed well in the food processor, stir in 1/2 cup chocolate chips (we just chopped up chocolate bars). I meant for us to try to make these with less sugar this time but I totally forgot. Next time. Spread the batter in a greased 8x8 pan and bake at 350 for 30 minutes.

How did dinner go? I think I finally figured out why the pasta salad was weird. It tasted more like a side dish that should be heated up and not served cold as a pasta salad. My daughter said she would prefer it without feta cheese. I didn't think the feta worked too well in it either. My hubby liked it. Three of us really liked the sauce for the meatballs. My son said it was ok. Now on to the blondies...We started off by each having a piece before dinner when they were warm from the oven. Yum. Then my son remembered them! After dinner, I told the kids they could have another one. Well, that turned into my son asking for one more. I suppose, they have chickpeas, oatmeal, and peanut butter. If I were to forget about the sugar then they would be healthy. Go ahead son. Ha. I did have to say no when he asked for yet another. Ha! I don't think he will say no if I ask him if I should make them again! I don't think my hubby got to try the blondies the last time I made them. My daughter told him the ingredients after he had eaten one. His response, "there's chickpeas in there"? Funny because I had made pasta salad last week with small white beans. The first day we ate it with ranch dressing. The second day we added avocado, tortilla chips, and catalina dressing to have it as taco salad. After eating the pasta salad for two days, I mentioned beans as I wrote my blog and he said "there was beans in there"?

No comments:

Post a Comment