Thursday, July 18, 2013

Quinoa cauliflower cakes

July 18, 2013

I'm sure by now you all know of my love for pasta. Any pasta. All pasta. I went to the pasta cupboard today and found a couple boxes that only had a little bit left. You know, the amount where it would be too much if you had added it the last time you cooked but way too little to cook on its own. I found two boxes that had about the same cook time so I cooked them together today. I had them as one of my favorite childhood comfort foods: pasta, butter, salt, pepper, and tomato sauce. Yum!

I decided to try a new recipe tonight for dinner. I saw a recipe for cauliflower quinoa cakes on A Sun Shiny Day. It is 1 head of cauliflower, 2 cups of cooked quinoa (I used red for the first time tonight), 4 oz cottage cheese, 1/2 cup bread crumbs (I used panko), 2 eggs, salt, onion and garlic powder, and parsley. We also added garlic and wine seasoning. The cauliflower is steamed then mashed and added to the other ingredients. Form patties and cook in a little olive oil for 3-5 minutes per side. I sauteed some red onion, mushrooms, cubanelle peppers, and garlic to top the cakes with. We served them with our favorite sauces. My hubby used habanero mustard and hot sauce. I used Country Bob's all purpose sauce (the best steak sauce). My son used ketchup. My daughter didn't use a sauce.

I wanted an easy side dish. I realized that tomorrow is the farmer's market so I wanted to use up the end of some of our veggies. I made a salad with lettuce, baby kale, cucumber, green/red/orange pepper, carrot, red onion, and peas. I saw I still had leftover chickpeas and edamame so I threw some of those on the salad. I topped it off with sunflower seeds. Yum!

The cauliflower quinoa cakes were good but they weren't packed with flavor. They didn't hold together the best either. My hubby wants to try them as a "meat" ball baked in the oven next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment