Friday, July 12, 2013

Mushroom and roasted chickpea marsala

July 12, 2013

We managed to pull ourselves away from our new puppy long enough to make lunch. Ok. So maybe he was at the groomers. Ha. I grilled up some potatoes. I also grilled up a basket of red onion, mushrooms, green/red/yellow peppers, zucchini, and yellow squash. I made a bed of lettuce, spinach, and baby kale. I topped it with cilantro, the veggies, sunflower seeds, avocado, black beans processed with salsa, and a little ranch. This was the first time we had tried baby kale. It was pretty good and added a nice flavor to the salad. I'll be buying that again.

Our puppy got home and of course no one wanted to cook. It was play time! I finally got hungry enough that my stomach won over my need to pet my lil fluffy guy. I grabbed a bag of chickpeas out of the freezer and thawed them in the microwave. I tossed them in olive oil, salted them, and stuck them in the oven at 400 to roast. I steamed a pot of broccolini. It tastes like a cross between asparagus and broccoli. Yum. I decided on a variation of marsala so I threw on a pot of jasmine rice to go along with it. Now on to the marsala. I sauteed some yellow onion in a little olive oil and vegan butter. I added in some garlic, mushrooms, and a handful of frozen green peppers along with some marsala wine. I seasoned it with adobo and salt. After letting it cook down a little, I added in about a quarter cup of marsala wine that I had mixed with a couple tablespoons of flour. We used the roasted chickpeas to add some crunch to our marsala.

What did everyone think of my quick creation? My son didn't like the crunchy chickpeas but said the rest of the sauce was good. My daughter was the opposite. She loved the chickpeas (of course) but said the sauce was just ok. My hubby and I liked it. I think the chickpeas should have been seasoned a little more. My hubby really liked the texture of the chickpeas. That's it for tonight....I need some puppy time!

No comments:

Post a Comment