Saturday, April 13, 2013

Crab Rangoon

April 12 & 13, 2013

Yesterday was kind of a boring food day so I decided to combine it with today's post. The kids both packed lunches yesterday. They were excited for the spaghetti-o goldfish. I just had some of the leftover lemon pasta pilaf. Yum. I spent my day getting items ready for the rummage sale and giving the house a real good cleaning. When dinner time came around, I wanted to nap not cook. We ordered delivery from our friends' restaurant: sliders (for my son), chicken wings (for my daughter), buffalo chicken sandwich (for my hubby), and buffalo chicken salad for me.

Uh oh. Two days in a row we ate out. We went out for lunch today to a Hawaiian place. My daughter got loco moco. That was one of my favorites when we lived in Hawaii. It sounds gross so bear with me. It is a hamburger patty, topped with a fried egg and gravy and served with rice and of course macaroni salad. Weird combo but it works. I had my other favorite: luau pork and cabbage. My hubby had chicken katsu. My son had a burger. Again.

Ok, so here is where food gets fun again! We decided to attempt one of the best things you get from Chinese restaurants..... have you guessed? Crab rangoon! I found a recipe at Little B Cooks.  I was a little surprised when she wrote that they turned out better with imitation crab than with real crab. The filling is cream cheese, imitation crab meat, green onions, garlic powder, and soy sauce. You put filling in a wonton wrapper and seal the edges with a beaten egg. They are fried for just a couple minutes until golden brown.

As my hubby worked on the filling, I needed to come up with a side dish. It seems like when we order a delicious tuna appetizer at restaurants that it will be served with some type of random slaw or salad. I cut up some cabbage, red onion, green onion, cucumber, and carrots. Hmmmm. I needed some type of dressing. I didn't want to use the typical mayo (not much of a fan). I put an avocado, some of our favorite teriyaki sauce, fresh lemon juice, and some minced ginger into the food processor. We served our meal with a side of sushi ginger.

The verdict. The crab rangoon turned out great! I think the only thing we would change next time is add some chopped garlic along with the garlic powder in the filling. Although, we are garlic lovers so if you aren't just stick with the powder. The slaw was missing something. Half way through dinner, I grabbed the salt shaker. That helped. We still couldn't quite place what it needed. I think next time we would just slice an avocado to serve with it and do some sort of a vinaigrette on it instead.

No comments:

Post a Comment