Friday, April 5, 2013

Grocery savings; new topping for blt

April 5, 2013

Today was grocery shopping day. I was a little nervous to go because with both kids and my hubby in tow I figured that we would be impulse buying like crazy. My pre-challenge weekly average at the commissary was $175. Today I spent $17.92 on toiletries and cleaners. I spent $100.09 on food. I kind of splurged on a specialty item for a theme dinner this week (you have to wait to hear about it). However, I made up for that with a few good deals. I got to the deli craving ham for sandwiches. They had Italian turkey on sale for $1.99 a pound. Ok turkey it is. I wrote to several companies a couple of weeks ago asking if they had coupons. Some said no. Some said yes and sent cents off coupons. Some said yes and sent me coupons for free items. Today I got french onion dip and Hawaiian hamburger buns for free! I was going to get a 12 pack of root beer for free but saw that they were on sale for $2.99. I figured that I would save my coupon for a week when they aren't on sale. Oh! Speaking of free... The cashier told me about a pack of coffee that I could get for free so I will get that in the next few days when we run errands. I spent $5.08 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $119.88 out of pocket. This is a savings of $55.12.

The kids had this week off of school so the only savings they did was my son packed on last Thursday saving us $2. Our pre-challenge weekly restaurant average was $80. This past week we went to TGIF to share an appetizer and also ordered delivery from our friend's restaurant last night (we didn't feel like cooking after driving home all day from our vacation). We spent $51. This is a savings of $29. *Disclaimer: yes we ate at restaurants during our vacation but I used prior challenge savings to pay for our food expenses. We decided to not count the vacation against us for this week and just did the challenge for days that we were at home.* Our savings for this week is $86.12. This brings our grand total savings to $2,860.76 in 170 days.

We wanted an easy dinner. Easy but delicious. Of course it involves bacon! We made blt sandwiches with guacamole, lettuce, red onion, tomato, cucumber, and bacon. My daughter loves cucumber and I figured that it would just give our sandwiches extra crunch. I think we may have done this a long time ago. Anyway, it was yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment