Friday, April 19, 2013

Reuben on Rye

April 19, 2013

The kids were ready for a break from packing lunches. I knew my hubby would be home for lunch today. Hmmm. I needed a way to convince him to stay home instead of going out to eat together. Aha! I got it. Reuben sandwiches. We had leftover sauerkraut in the fridge. We also used provolone cheese, thousand island dressing, turkey lunch meat, and marble rye bread. Just build your sandwiches and toast them up like a grilled cheese sandwich. Yum!

I wanted an easy meal for tonight. I looked in the freezer and saw a leftover container of beef roast that my hubby had smoked. Beef barley soup it is. Soup is so easy to me. It doesn't matter what veggies you have on hand. What you have will work. Add together broth, meat, veggies, and a starch (rice, pasta, or barley) and you have a winner meal with minimal effort. Today I started out with onion, celery, carrots, potatoes, and barley in some beef broth. I added the beef, a jar of home canned tomatoes, a hand full of chopped fresh spinach, salt, pepper, basil, and thyme dried from my garden. When the veggies were almost finished cooking, I added a jar of our home canned green beans and a bag of corn (frozen from the farmer's market). After a little chopping and simmering, dinner was ready. The perfect cozy meal on a rainy night.

No comments:

Post a Comment