Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Mashed Potato Ravioli

April 16, 2013

Grocery shopping is coming up soon so I am trying to get the kids to eat up stuff before it goes bad. They packed lunches today: sandwiches, yogurt, and cantaloupe. My hubby packed the leftover tilapia and some fruit. I just wish that I had paid attention to what he had packed in the tiny container. I rinsed it out after he got home.... oh goodness. It burned my throat just rinsing it. It was the leftover hot sauce he made out of ghost peppers and habanero peppers and it was no joke! I babysat today and my little buddy and I ate up the rest of the hotdogs and cantaloupe.

I knew that I wanted to use up some of the 10 pounds of potatoes (leftover from Easter). Well, maybe it was more like 9 pounds because we had used them once. I asked around for ideas and I also looked online at Idahopotato.com. I found some great ideas and decided to try one out tonight. Mashed potato ravioli. It just so happens that I still had half a pack of wonton wrappers leftover from crab rangoon night. This should turn out somewhat like pierogies. Fingers crossed!

I decided to make my own recipe for the mashed potato filling. I have some pretty killer mashed potatoes if I do say so myself. I use a little butter, milk, salt, pepper, garlic, and sour cream in the potatoes. The recipe I looked at called for parmesan cheese in the filling. All I had was romano so I added that instead. I let the mashed potatoes cool in the fridge for about half an hour. My hubby got home just in time to help make the ravioli. We brushed the edges of the wonton wrappers with a beaten egg. Next we put a tablespoon of mashed potato filling inside, topped it with another wonton, and sealed the edges. A few minutes in a pot of boiling water and we were all set. Remember my daughter's "famous" garlic butter sauce? My son suggested that we top our ravioli with the garlic butter sauce and top it with some basil to make it look fancy. Ha. Ok, that is coming from a 6 year old. I served the ravioli with the sauce, basil, and some freshly grated romano cheese. I heated up the last of our Easter ham (yay for easy freezer meals!) and some corn (frozen from the farmer's market). So how did everything turn out? The ravioli were delicious! The only problem is that about half of them burst while cooking. Not sure if I had the heat too high, added too much filling, or didn't seal them enough. Oh well. The kids still kept going back for more and didn't stop until they were all gone. The best part about the meal? Improving my mashed potato recipe. We all agreed that from now on mashed potatoes will have cheese and basil. They. Were. Unbelievable.

No comments:

Post a Comment