Saturday, April 6, 2013

Oh Crepe! It's Rouladen & Spaetzle

April 6, 2013

What an amazing food day! One item that I LOVE for breakfast (on the rare day that I eat breakfast) is crepes. Why do we never make them at home? Today is the day. I found a recipe on Allrecipes.com for a blueberry sauce. Ohhhhh. I have one more small bag of blueberries that I froze from the farmer's market. I pulled up a recipe on Cooks.com for crepes. Ok, hubby. Time to get to work! I assisted (well maybe I just grabbed stuff out of the cupboard) while he made me breakfast. The sauce had sugar, orange juice, blueberries, lemon juice, vanilla, and cinnamon. The blueberry sauce called for leaving the blueberries whole. I prefer a smooth sauce so after he finished it I just put it in the food processor. Oh my goodness. They were amazing! I think the next time we will put a little less orange juice in the sauce so that more of the blueberry stands out.

We wanted a quick lunch today. My hubby grilled us some hotdogs which we topped with ketchup, mustard, and some of my sister's homemade relish. Yum!

Tonight was German night at our house. Remember I said that I splurged on an item this week? It was spaetzle. They were $3 something a package which is expensive to me for a "noodle". It just so happens that we went to a friend's house last night and she is German. She pulled out her cookbook for me and gave me some tips for our meal tonight. She normally has gravy on her spaetzle. While pulling up the recipe today, I saw that you could layer spaetzle, sauerkraut, and then swiss cheese. We didn't have swiss so we tried muenster on some and provolone on some. I also couldn't pass up trying it with gravy. The main dish that she suggested was German Rouladen. Basically, you take a very thin piece of flank steak, spread mustard on it (I used champagne dill mustard), top it with bacon, onion, and pickles (I used homemade pickles). Roll it up and secure it with a toothpick or cooking string. Sear the rolls in butter and then add 2 1/2 cups water and a beef bouillon cube. Let it simmer for an hour. Most of our juice reduced so I added a can of beef broth. I set the rolls to the side and thickened the juice with cornstarch to make the gravy. The rolls were really good. Surprisingly flavorful considering we added NO seasonings. The gravy was ridiculously good. I was disappointed that there was barely any left after dinner! We will definitely make this again. So which spaetzle dish did we like better? The gravy made it sooooooo delicious. The kids thought the cheese made it taste like macaroni and cheese. They both win!

On to dessert. Ok, so this isn't a German dessert. We had blueberry sauce leftover from this morning. Hmmmm. I had a few cans of biscuits. My hubby assisted my daughter and she made monkey bread that we dipped in the blueberry sauce. Oh my goodness. I couldn't stop eating them! Who needs restaurants when you have food this good at home. Well done today hubby. Well done.


No comments:

Post a Comment