Monday, April 8, 2013

Time for lime

April 8, 2013

My hubby and both kiddos packed their lunches today. My hubby brought leftover smoked beef roast (sandwich). My son brought pizza and fruit. My daughter brought chicken nuggets and leftover spinach and pine nut quinoa. I was so disappointed that the tuna tataki was all gone. Then I got an idea. There was a container of leftover lettuce, red onion, cucumber, avocado, and tomatoes. There was leftover soy ginger dressing that I made. I still had sushi ginger. I substituted beef roast for tuna. It actually went together well. I think probably because the red onion, avocado, sushi ginger, and the dressing all had such strong flavors that it hid the beef.

I tried a new recipe tonight from bigboldbeautifulfood.blogspot.com for dinner. Chicken taquitos that are baked instead of fried. I sauteed chicken seasoned with garlic powder, onion powder, salt, and pepper and set it aside. I sauteed onion and garlic. Then I added cumin, salt, and paprika and cooked it for another minute. I added the chicken back to the pan and stirred in some cilantro. I was going to use corn tortillas so I heated up some chicken broth to a simmer. I dipped the corn tortillas into the broth for one second and then set it on a cutting board. I put some chicken mixture onto the bottom third and topped it with mexican cheese, rolled, and put it into a greased pan seam side down. Brush the tops with olive oil and bake at 425 for 15 minutes. We served them over a bed of romaine lettuce, red onion, and tomatoes. My hubby topped his with some lime juice. I also wanted a sauce for them. I grabbed some sour cream and a single serve pack of guacamole and put it in the food processor. Then I remembered that I had half of an avocado in the fridge so I put that in too. Everyone really liked the taquitos. I was surprised that they could be so crunchy without having to fry them.

I knew once I saw a recipe on shewearsmanyhats.com that I HAD to make it for my hubby: lime pie dip. It was so easy to make. Mix together half a block of cream cheese, 14 oz sweetened condensed milk, 1 teaspoon of lime zest (I used 2 tsps), 1/2 cup freshly squeezed lime juice, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Refrigerate for one hour to thicken up a bit. I served it with cinnamon graham crackers. Everyone really liked the lime pie dip too. My hubby said he likes this dip better than the cookie dough hummus.

No comments:

Post a Comment