Wednesday, April 17, 2013

Strawberry Squeaks

April 17, 2013

For the second time this week, I made breakfast. I made pancakes and french toast. Here I thought I was being awesome....until the smoke alarm went off and woke up my hubby! To my defense, our smoke alarm is over sensitive. There wasn't even smoke. Reason 1,022 why I prefer to snuggle up with coffee and a blanket and have the kiddos get easy breakfast items. Ha.

I was on a mission today. I wanted to use up leftovers and items that I would be buying tomorrow. The kids both packed lunches again today. They are on a roll this week! Sandwiches, yogurt, and my daughter also brought mashed potatoes (she has a slight obsession with my mashed potatoes). My hubby had lunch at home today. How do I keep him out of restaurants? With tacos! We started putting away the taco leftovers and he decided to pack taco salad for his dinner tonight. There was a little bit of lettuce, red onion, and tomato left on the cutting board. It didn't look like enough to keep but I did anyway. I figured that I could just add more to it when we wanted salad.

I wanted to have a fun after school snack for the kiddos because I haven't done that in awhile. I looked through the fridge. Ugh. Slim pickings. All the fun snacks need ingredients that I don't have. All except one. I wasn't sure how the kids would feel about it but figured I would give it a whirl. Strawberries. Check. Mini chocolate chips. Not check. I had mini cinnamon chips though. Licorice pieces. Check. I always seem to have a ton of random candy in the cupboard. Cheese. Check. Have you figured it out yet?! Strawberry mice. Lay the strawberries on their side. Poke a tiny hole with a sharp knife and then insert a mini chip for eyes and nose. Licorice rope makes the tails and then serve by cheese. The kids thought they were awesome! Ah! I just realized that I forgot to put on the almond slice ears. Oops!

Seeing as my hubby had to work through dinner, I figured that it would be a good night to do a smorgasbord. I pulled ham, pork marsala, mashed potatoes, corn, green beans, pancakes, waffles, cantaloupe, and the tiny salad out of the fridge. Holy smokes. The kids didn't even complain about having leftovers. I guess giving the option of choosing whatever they want makes it fun.

No comments:

Post a Comment