Sunday, May 26, 2013

Boy, am I stuffed!

May 26, 2013

Today started off very unusual. I actually wanted breakfast. I asked my hubby to make me an omelet. I had onion, mushrooms, spinach, american cheese, avocado, basil, and cilantro. Wow. Best omelette I have ever had. It made me think that maybe we should make them for lunch. Ha.

We grilled up some onion, mushrooms, peppers, and potatoes. We made a wrap and added spinach, avocado, and some country bob's sauce (an all purpose sauce). The kiddos wanted hotdogs. They decided to try the tofurkey hotdogs. My hubby grilled them and they chose toppings of ketchup, mustard, and homemade relish. My hubby and I each took a little sample to try. I was so scared! My son chimed in and said they tasted like regular hotdogs. My hubby ate his and said "huh, it does taste like regular hotdogs". I put all three toppings on mine (yes, to try to hide the hotdog. ha.). It actually wasn't too bad. It seemed firmer than a regular hotdog, a little different, but something I could eat if I really was craving a hotdog.

Dinner was delicious. I had a potato dish at the Pampered Chef party I went to a few days ago. I loved them and had to recreate them. Tonight was the night. Hollow out red potatoes and roll them in olive oil and some garlic/wine seasoning. Invert and bake them for about 30 minutes at 350. Once they cool a bit, stuff them with a mix of chive and onion cream cheese and sour cream. Top them with cheddar cheese and green onion. Next up was a quinoa stuffed mushroom. I found a recipe on Greatist. We altered a few things and this is what we came up with. Remove stems from a box of button mushrooms. Chop the stems. Saute some onion in olive oil. Add the stems, a teaspoon of chopped garlic, basil, salt, and pepper. After a couple minutes, add a good splash (such a technical cooking term) of white wine. Let the wine evaporate and add about 1/4 cup roasted red peppers, 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach, and 1/2 cup cooked quinoa. Add 1 tablespoon of red wine vinegar. Cook a few more minutes and then remove from heat. Add 1/4 cup of freshly grated cheese. Tonight we used asiago but parmesan would be great too. Fill the mushroom caps, top with a sprinkle of cheese, and bake for about 30 minutes at 350. We also made a quick side salad of romaine lettuce, spinach, cucumber, tomato, red onion, avocado, and sunflower seeds. I had a pot of chickpeas simmering on the stove and my daughter hijacked a spoonful to add to her salad. Everyone said dinner was very good. I think this was one of my new favorites. I couldn't stop talking about how good it was even after the kitchen was all cleaned up. Winner meal! I think this was the first time I have ever used mushroom stems. I always assumed they were tough or something so I always threw them out. Not the case! Trim up the end and they are good to go. I just realized that I had avocado at all three meals today. No wonder today's food was awesome!

No comments:

Post a Comment