Thursday, May 23, 2013

Finger Food & Grocery Savings

May 23, 2013

The kiddos both wanted to buy school lunch today. My hubby packed leftover taco pasta. I met a couple of friends for lunch. Two thumbs down to Applebee's for not offering much for vegetarian options.

Today was grocery shopping day. My pre-challenge weekly average at the commissary was $175. Today I spent $24.51 on cleaners/toiletries. I spent $104.46 on food. I wanted to make sure we had lots of good stuff for the long holiday weekend. I spent $4.82 on impulse items. I had planned on getting a box of individual mixed nuts. They were on sale for a little over a dollar off plus I had two $1 off coupons so I went ahead and got two boxes. I also got the kids macaroni and cheese. It's been forever since I got it for them. I spent $5.08 on gossip magazines. After adding in their surcharge and taking out my coupons, I spent $137.66 out of pocket. This is a savings of $37.34. The kids packed lunches and saved $20 this week. Our pre-challenge weekly average at restaurants was $80. This week we spent $53.01 which is a savings of $26.99. Our savings for this week is $84.33. Our grand total savings is $3,527.48 in 218 days!

My son asked for finger food for dinner. My hubby made some caprese wontons. He put wonton wrappers in a muffin tin. He filled each wrapper with a slice of tomato, half of a fresh basil leaf, and a pinch of mozzarella cheese. He baked it for about ten minutes and then topped it with a sprinkling of balsamic vinegar. He also made us each quesadillas. My son had a cheese quesadilla. My daughter had freshly ground peanut butter and banana. My hubby and I had jalapeno cream cheese, sauteed onions and mushrooms, and mexican cheese. The veggies were seasoned with chili powder and cumin. We served it with avocado and sour cream. Yum!

No comments:

Post a Comment