Monday, May 20, 2013

Two recipes: One meatloaf

May 18, 19, & 20, 2013

Our past few days have been pretty busy so I combined them into one post. My daughter and I did something very special on Saturday. This weekend marked one year since we lost my father in law to cancer. We decided to donate our hair to children with cancer in his memory. While we were out, we went to lunch at Moe's. I was about to order a black bean and rice taco and my daughter made a comment about tofu. To her surprise, I said I would try it. It actually wasn't bad! There was one bite (I think there wasn't too much toppings in that bite) that it seemed a little too spongey for me. Otherwise, it covered up with pico de gallo, guacamole, sour cream, cheese, lettuce, black beans, rice,and cilantro. I think I will be ordering it from now on. Gasp!

Our dinner that night was over a bonfire. We made one of my childhood favorites: pudgy pies. Picture basically a grilled cheese sandwich. We made pizza ones with onion, mushrooms, black olives, spinach, homemade pizza sauce, provolone, and mozzarella cheese. Normally for dessert we would make a sandwich with pie filling and dust it with powdered sugar. I didn't have any but that wasn't about to stop me from a pudgy pie goodness! I found a jar of homemade spiced peaches from my parents. They had written on the jar that it would be good on ice cream, waffles, or pancakes. Hmmmm. It was amazing in the pudgy pie!

We did a lot of yard work on Sunday. We started our day (well lunch) with mushroom and kale quesadillas. We worked all day and took a quick break to eat and then went back to planting. Seeing as we had so much work to do we decided to grab dinner versus cooking. My son and I had Subway (mine for free because of loyalty points). My daughter and hubby had pizza.

Today my daughter leftover pizza for lunch. My son packed a sandwich. I had a jar half full of home canned tomatoes in the fridge. Pasta and tomatoes for me. Yum!

Tonight I decided to take our newly favorite meat substitution (chickpea, asiago cheese, panko bread crumb, oatmeal, worcestershire sauce, fresh parsley, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and eggs) and turn it into one of our go to meals: mini meatloaves. The only alteration that I did to the recipe was to add a little tomato sauce to the mixture. After they baked for 20 minutes, I topped them with the sauce that we use for meatloaves. It is a recipe I got in 8th grade home economics and we love it! I mixed together the rest of the can of tomato sauce, one tablespoon of brown sugar, 1/2 teaspoon of worcestershire sauce, and a little fresh parsley. Half of them got topped with french fried onions. Baked them for five more minutes and they were all set. I had my hubby grill up some baby red potatoes. I wanted another side of veggies so I looked in the fridge. I grabbed the asparagus. I had a tiny bit of a red onion and a white onion. In they went. I found about 1/3 of a zucchini and yellow squash. In they went. I grabbed a handful of baby portabella mushrooms. In they went. The veggies were all tossed in olive oil and seasoned with the garlic and wine seasoning from the Melting Pot. Double Yum!



No comments:

Post a Comment